Roon UI / Playback dropouts

-SETUP-

Roon Version (latest available) - 1.4 (Build 294) stable (64-Bit)
Operating System (latest available) - Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2
Roon Core Hardware (Roon Server) - Headless Mac Mini (Late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD
Music Library - /Users/macminissd/Music/Roon Library/
Library Size - ~10,000 tracks
Location - Colorado, USA

-ISSUE-

This has occurred on and off through multiple releases of Roon and Mac OS.

Regardless of whether I’m using the Roon UI on my WiFi connected devices (e.g. Android Phone (Pixel XL), iPad (10.5" Pro), MacBook Air or wired devices (27" iMac) I will lose the UI and it takes a few moments to come back. Usually music playback stops as well (if not always) and it not dependent upon which endpoint (local device playback, Sonore MicroRendu, Sonos Play:1) in use. Once the UI comes back, I’m able to hit play and start the music again immediately. This will happen over and over and then for no obvious reason everything stabilizes and it stops.

When this behavior occurs, it does not matter whether i’m browsing / playing Tidal or my local FLAC library.

I’ve found that opening the local Roon UI on the Headless Mac Mini seems to get it to stabilize much more quickly. However, I’ve also seen this occur while the local Roon UI is open on the Mac Mini and it loses UI connectivity as well.

My wired network is switched Gigabit Ethernet. I’m using an Ubiquiti Networks ER-X router (recent upgrade), but this also occurred when I was using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Switches are 5p and 8p Netgear DGS-100xG switches. Wifi is 802.11AC using two ‘enterprise class’ WAPs (Netgear WAC510, Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP AC LR, both of which are hardwired. The network is rock solid, with no loss of connectivity (e.g. VNC, ping, network drives, other streaming apps, etc. all run uninterrupted with zero packet loss or spikes in latency) and the network runs at a fraction of its capacity (there is no correlation between network loads and the Roon dropouts).

As far as I can tell, the Roon Server application running the Mini is not crashing and restarting either.

Any help or recommendations on isolating the issue is greatly appreciated.

Still having this issue. Last night it occurred using my iPad and Sonos Play:1. I would lose connectivity to the UI and sometimes the music would stop playing. One would occur independent of the other, sometimes I would lose UI connectivity while the music stop playing. Once the UI came back, I could restart playback immediately. Closing and reopening the UI on the Mac Mini (core) seemed to resolve the issue. There were no issues in my network (wired or wireless) when this was occurring.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there someone I should call or send an email to directly? This is occurring again today.

Let’s flag @support to follow up with you. Stay tuned!

1 Like

Whoops :blush: Thanks! @support

I was going to review the FAQ yesterday, but I didn’t see a link to it here. Of course I just found it in the UI moments ago.

Hi @mrvco ----- Thank you for the feedback and more importantly, thank you for you patience. Sorry to hear of the troubles and my apologies for the wait.

Moving forward, I would like to have our techs take a look into this issue you are reporting with your Roon setup and in light of this I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing an up to date set of Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. Once the report has come in I will be sure to confirm we’ve received it and that has made it’s way over to our techs for analysis.

All the best to you and your family during the new year!
-Eric

UPDATE: Looks like the report just came in. Over to our techs.

Thanks… unfortunately the playback and UI was rock solid this afternoon. I will give it another go this evening and see if I can get the issue to occur again.

@support Apparently opening the support ticket resolved the issue :smirk_cat: I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it starts happening again. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll repost when I get the USB interface issue sorted.