Roon Unusable since Build 339 update

@support

I run Roon core on my desktop AMD FX-6200 6 core 3.8Ghz processor, 16Gb RAM SSD for operating system, music stored on 4Gb Sata 3 HD

I run Roon control points on my Sansung Galaxy Tab S2 & Opeplus 5T

I also run Roon purely as a control point on my laptop - Intel i3 2.1Ghz, 8Gb RAM SSD

A couple of days ago while controlling via my laptop I got an “update available” message & selected update all (previously on build 333)and when Roon reconnected it was impossibly laggy.

I assumed that it was the server so uninstalled it from my desktop & reinstalled build 333 & ignored the “update message” but my laptop was still impossibly laggy. However control from my Tablet & Phone is fine.

So I uninstalled Roon from my laptop & reinstalled build 333. But despite ignoring the “update” message - it has updated itself automatically & is now unusable :frowning:

Still in my trial period but this experience is not encouraging me to buy!

Sounds like a graphics driver issue to me… There’s a known issue with Intel graphics hardware and drivers and the OpenGL library used by Roon’s UI. If you can’t get a version of the driver to work, try using the 32bit version of Roon (for your Roon Control) on the desktop PC. That’s a workaround that is known to work. I think you’re running the Roon Core on Roon Server on your laptop? That can be left as is.

@support Interestingly, I’ve just been looking through the Roon Settings on my laptop and under about is says

This PC
Roon version 1.5 (build 333) stable (64 bit)
1.5 (build 339) stable is awaiting relaunch
Click here to relaunch

Core PC
Roon version 1.5 (build 333) stable (64 bit)
1.5 (build 339) stable is awaiting relaunch
Click here to relaunch

Both of which imply that Roon Build 333 is running on both

However looking at Control Panel > Programs & Features both show as 1.5 (build 339)???

So, did you click to relaunch?

No - not yet

Let’s try that first…

Ok - relaunched both server & control point - no different - still really slow

@Geoff_Coupe
When us say “Sounds like a graphics driver issue to me… There’s a known issue with Intel graphics hardware and drivers and the OpenGL library used by Roon’s UI.” - is this since build 339?

I didn’t have this problem before I updated!

@Geoff_Coupe Installing the 32 bit version seems to have solved it :slight_smile: Thanks

1 Like

This is a long-running issue that has been around for a couple of years. Some versions of the Intel Graphics driver in Windows hit this issue with OpenGL. It seems to come and go, but the 32 bit version of Roon always seems to be the workaround if folks can’t find a version of the driver that works. The issue is not under Roon Labs control, unfortunately, other software that uses OpenGL has been known to exhibit similar problems.

This is still such a common issue I am surprised there hasn’t been a troubleshooting roon performance KB

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.