Roon Update 1.8 - WHY AT ALL?

We need the option „Allow for more Album Covers“ back. I dont understand why this was deleted in 1.8. That would solve the issues for everyone, those with poor eyesight and those who want more Albums per page😏

Count me in for the latter.

4 Likes

That’s actually exactly what I said… did you read my response?

I suppose I enjoy being told I’m wrong as much as the next person, which is not at all. Especially when we agree.

When we agree, I apologize! I understood that you were contradicting @PixelPopper who complained about too big album covers in 1.8. When you agree on smaller album covers, which I could not read out of your post as you wrote to prefer the latter with larger pictograms I stand corrected. Clearly in 1.8 the density of album covers is too low and needs too much scrolling.

I complained???

1 Like

Sorry you obviously questioned. According to the thread title ‘WHY…’

No problem, I found an old screenshot while browsing & thought the comparison might raise a few hackles :grin:

1 Like

This is getting a bit over done, I don’t want this to be about forum etiquette. However… I am saying we have different needs, and they are probably both possible to accommodate, as was the case in 1.7. I like it better this way, but that doesn’t make either of us wrong.

No, absolutely not, choice is my preference and in this we are at least to my sentiment the same opinion.

I prefer 1.8, however, I think the best solution here is Personlization options as so many people get upset over various small details.

1 Like

I’m still getting used to the new interface, though my first response was that all this white space makes it feel more sparse and sterile than before.

I use a streaming service (Qobuz) to check out new/unfamiliar albums and artists. Then, if I really like them, I buy their albums on CD or download – because that’s the only way the artists really get paid for their work. Also, the idea of paying for streaming rather than owning a copy of the music seems like the old, pre-streaming subscription cable model before VCRs and DVRs – or the old AT&T model when there was only one Phone Company and you had to rent all your services and equipment from them but couldn’t own any of it.

I’ve been using Roon for a little more than a year and I’m primarily use Roon to manage my own library and to learn more about the tens of thousands of albums and artists in my collection, though I also use it (and web searching) to learn about things I’m unfamiliar with.

1 Like

The worst part for me is that when I enter the application there is a flash of white( I have the light on my iPad set at 2/16 light ) and I can not see anything for quite a while.

1 Like

It is indeed a little harsh even though I have the brightness close to minimum, I’ve taken to simply looking away.

Because the design before was terrible. 1.8 is outstanding. Far better user experience and it is far more likely to attract people to stick around after their trial period. Shout out to Roon. 1.8 is great. It was time to progress to a more current look and feel. I really disliked the old user interface. Yes some features were disrupted, other new features are added. The disrupted features they will figure out over time based on user feedback.

3 Likes

What the world needs now is another part time graphic designer like I need a hole in my head.

2 Likes

Some serious Roon angst.

1 Like

Sweet… you got that reference. That had been rattling around in my head, and then it was tee’d up for me by @jtnt perfectly.

1 Like

I use my MacBook for now, but I really liked to have this on my iPad: Roon, Tidal, and Devialet. Now I have to use Tidal, or I can’t change the volume on the amplifier. I’m no longer able to use the Roon app due to the flash every time it updates the screen. Also the filter mechanism is a disaster beyond compare.

white flash was fixed in an iOS update many weeks ago, what release is your iOS device on?

It updates itself, where would I check this?

On your iOS device, go to Settings > About and it will show the Build number.