Roon update has screwed up my backups settings

I have just tried to do a backup. It was working perfectly just a few days before the latest update which happened a few hours ago. The options listed by Roon are now completely different than what I had before and include Dropbox and my Nucleus + which I haven’t used for ages and do not apply anymore. I have 2 backup locations. The most recent successful backup files are be in C:\Roonbackup and M:\RoonMetaData Backup. The M: drive is an external drive attached to my desktop computer running Windows 10.

Now Roon seems to want a network share. I have tried this a number of times but I cannot get it to work no matter what I do and no matter what instructions I read. The best I could come up with was an invalid path message.

Any help would be appreciated. I find it EXTREMELY frustrating that a Roon Update would destroy my backup settings (as it almost certainly has done). I should not have to worry about this once it is set.

I’ve moved your post into the Support category of the forum for the attention of the Support team.

Please give full details of your setup by providing the following to help diagnosis:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches), if on WiFi/Ethernet, and if you are using a VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

My apologies for taking so long to get back to this. I had a family emergency that I had to deal with.

Since my initial post, I have done quite a bit of experimentation and, through a bit of good luck, a lot of perspirations and a dose of inspiration, I have managed to come up with a solution to the problem which I will outline below. However, that still does not explain how the problem occurred in the first place and indeed it reoccurred just a few days ago. Fortunately, I had made detailed notes for the original solution and so with a couple of tweaks was able to be up and running again in a few minutes.

The process I eventually came up with is as follows:

I. Part 1, “Getting Access”

  1. Select Folder and right-click

  2. From the Menu select “Give Access to Specific People”

  3. Click the Dropdown Arrow

  4. Double-click “Everyone”

  5. Click “Add”

  6. Change permissions level to “Read/Write” if necessary

  7. Click “Share”

  8. Click “Done”

II. Part 2, Getting the Path

  1. Select Folder and right click

  2. Select Properties

  3. Select Sharing

  4. Select Advanced Sharing

  5. Check the box beside “Share this folder”

(N.B. If the box in II. 5 is already checked, remove the check Click “Apply”, Click “OK” and retry step II.5.)

  1. Click “Apply”

  2. Click “OK”

  3. Copy the Network Path (above the “Share Box”)

III. Part 3, Roon

  1. Go to Roon/Settings/Backup

  2. Select Backup (i.e. Backup now)

  3. Click on “Select Location”

  4. Select “+Add Network Share”

  5. Paste the Path (created in II. 8 above) to “Network share location”

  6. Click “Add network share”

(N.B. If after all of this, you get a message to the effect that “backup directory is unavailable”, then repeat Part 1 and then go back into Part 3. It should then work)

I have a couple of comments and there are a few things that puzzle me:

  1. Why can’t the path be pasted directly or keyed directly into the Roon backup procedure. It only worked the way I did it.

  2. During my experimentation and before I solved the problem, I discovered an option that would show me what network shares were available on Windows and the correct shares were there.

  3. Why did the problem reoccur in any case after a couple of weeks.

  4. Under “Getting Access”, and under the “Give Access to Specific People” why did I have to select the “Everyone” option. I suspect that this is a Windows stupidity and that I need to set it up so “Run as Administrator”.

  5. The problem originally occurred right after a Roon update (I believe it was Build 1253, the current version).

  6. This seems to be a fairly convoluted way to solve the problem but it does work and actually does not take very long to implement.

My setup is a Roon Nucleus+ feeding a Trinnov Altitude 16 via its Roon Ready ethernet connection. The relevant hard drives where the metadata is stored are on my desktop computer upstairs. These are C:\Roonbackup and an attached external drive M:\ RoonMetaData Backup. The actual Media files are attached to the Nucleus+ on my 18TB Q: hard drive. The router is an Asus RT-AX88U which is about 2 years old. I have over 88,000 tracks in my Library.

Although I may have solved the problem, I am concerned that it might reoccur and that it might be symptomatic of some other problem.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.