Roon updates result in lower Volume levels

Has nobody else noticed the volume levels going down after the last couple Roon updates?

In my Hegel 590, I used to listen comfortably at volume level between 47~53 and now it seems like that’s too low and I have to bump it up to 58~63 to get the same level.

It also seems like SQ has gone down with the last two updates.

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed this?

I just tried a few tracks with your question in mind and I personally do not see a difference with volume settings on my Pre.

No difference to me …

1 Like

Extremely unlikely, if not just simply impossible!

Better check your end of things, like:

• Did anything change in signal path?
  • Did anything change in device setup?
  • Did anything change in DSP settings?

The only change was the Roon updates, but I was listening to new music perhaps it was the recording level of those tracks, I’ll try again with a few of my favorites.

This has nothing to do with Roon’s release version, and everything to do with your source material. You can get a pretty good idea of what to expect with the waveform display. If it’s almost a flat line, you’re going need to need turn up the volume, but will often be rewarded with a nice wide dynamic range. If the waveform is close to max, you’ll need to turn down the volume, but the dynamic range suffers.

2 Likes

Using completely unknown music to draw such conclusions across a couple of Roon updates and then post your bewilderment about no one else noticing it is odd.

1 Like

Right, I’ve narrow it down to old Tidal tracks. Source material was apparently recorded at lower volume levels and I guess I’ve been listening to those a lot recently. I went back to newer / more recently recorded songs and both the volume and SQ are still where they were before. Silly me.

Thanks everyone for the comments.