Roon UPS software hook

With a name like Slim_Fishguttz, you know he’s serious about this sort of thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Certainly roon should have some checks and balances on its database integrity and the backup integrity too. 8 think slim has a few good points.

Pretty old post but my Qnap TVS-873 had a hook for APC Ups that handled shutdown in case of hydro outage.
If I remember correctly both my SmartUps and my Back-UPS 1500 worked.

1 Like

Yep, an old post that has been studiously ignored by the Roon devs.

It’s been awhile, but I think I was mostly concerned with a ROCK machine.

Odd there is a Open Source Linux package.
Even my ISP modem has the same UPS package worked well during recent outage.

Good Luck

Since build 880, the database is checked for corruption during backup, so corrupt backups should not happen anymore

Corruption can still happen, but Backups shouldn’t become corrupted.

From before Build 880 -

Wouldn’t it be better to not have a corrupted database, then to count on an un-corrupted Backup to be Restored?

Yes, that’s why I wrote exactly that, “the database is checked for corruption during backup, so corrupt backups should not happen anymore

It would, but corruption can never be 100% ruled out, so an uncorrupted backup is a necessity in any case. And once that exists, a corruption of the live DB for any reason, such as power outage but also any other, is much less scary.

In any case, a large part of the problem was addressed, so the issues was not studiously ignored.

The issue was to have a way to shut done Core in the event of being on a UPS due to a power failure.

BTW - I got the same kind of responses in June '20 when I first stated the problem about corrupted Backups.

Yes, but the discussion leading up to this was about the database corruption caused by a power failure, which seemed to make a UPS close to a necessity. This part was addressed to a large part at least. Certainly Roon should be safe to use for people without a UPS as well, as long as they back up, so this was a necessity, and it may well solve the real problem (the corruption) at least for many. UPS hooks would be nice maybe, but is probably not a mainstream thing.

Of course everyone has their pet peeves. I have probably a hundred that are more important to me than a UPS hook, but none of them would have been more important than preventing backup corruption :slight_smile: