Roon Upsampling?

Can someone tell me why Roon upsamples the 44.1khz stream from Qobuz to 48kHz and also the bit depth to 64 to then downgrade it to 24bit??

It seems your Bluetooth headphones/device is telling the iPhone to output audio in a specific format, 24bit 48Khz?

I use AirPods Pro over Bluetooth. Why would they do it?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251231869

1 Like

Roon is converting to a format that is compatible with your AirPods, which is pretty cool. Roon does all sample rate conversions and DSP in 64-bits, so that’s normal.

Any losses due to format conversion are negligible compared to damage done by the lossy Bluetooth codecs.

1 Like

The Airpods are fixed at 48khz/24bit . Instead of letting the OS or the AirPods do the conversion, Roon is doing it in the best way it knows how to do so.

1 Like

@support when I use the quobuz app with the same headphones and connector attached to my iPhone, quobuz shows songs playing at 44.1, etc, but roon upsamples everything to 48. Is Quobuz just not showing me the correct output from phone, or are they doing something different than roon?

FWIW Quobuz support says if using a lightning adapter to a 3.5 mini jack, then high res possible, though they may just be referring to bit depth. Thank you.

Nick

The lightning to 3.5 adapter resamples everything to 24/48. That’s just how it is and there’s no way around it.

Thanks, do you know why Quobuz shows 44.1 when playing? Is it an error on their side? Are they just showing what their recording is but not what I’m getting? Thanks and sorry for all the question

If you refer to the sample rate displayed in the Qobuz native app, this is the quality of their file and not what your dongle DAC is actually playing.

The native Qobuz app does not have the capability to display the sample rate your external DAC is playing, like Roon does.

You’re welcome. Hope this makes sense and don’t feel sorry for asking questions.