Roon using much more RAM on MacOS Big Sur than on MacOS High Sierra

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC8i7BEH / ROCK / v1.7 Build 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ActionTec C3000A modem+router → ethernet cable → Core

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Old: iMac 2014 running MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra), Roon Remote v1.7 Build 710 connected to Core via wifi

New: iMac 2017 running MacOS 11.1 (Big Sur), Roon Remote v1.7 Build 710 connected to Core via wifi

Description Of Issue

I recently replaced my old iMac (iMac 2014 running MacOS 10.13 High Sierra) with a new one (iMac 2017 running MacOS 11.1 Big Sur). I’ve noticed that the Roon Remote application uses much more RAM on the new machine (MacOS 11.1) than on the old machine (MacOS 10.13).

I’m wondering if there is a known reason why Roon Remote requires more RAM (close to 1 GB) on Big Sur. @support, is this something you can comment on and/or look into, please? – thanks!

Screenshots below are immediately after reboot of old and new machines:

old iMac running MacOS 10.13 High Sierra: Roon Remote uses 191 MB RAM

new iMac running MacOS 11.1 Big Sur: Roon Remote uses almost 4 times the RAM (744 MB):

RAM usage on Big Sur up to 1 GB by the end of the day…

Anyone else with high RAM usage on MacOS Big Sur…? I’ve seen several reports about instability as well as high CPU usage on Big Sur, but not high RAM usage that I could find.

Yeah, its pretty bad. Hopefully v1.8 will be released soon and address this.

OK, thanks for the info @mikeb Wasn’t sure if it was just me

Roon is still eating up >1GB and sometimes >2GB of RAM on my M1 MacBook Air and M1 Mac mini. What is it using all that RAM for?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.