Roon vs. ARC poll

Bingo … exactly my thoughts.

Hear, hear!

2 Likes

None of the above.
Can’t get ARC to work.
Can’t get a response from Roon that helps.

1 Like

Sorry if that has been answered. ARC time adds to the one from home?

I can say that I now use Roon 100%, home, street, work.
I am using Roon only with tidal (for the moment no local files) so ARC had 2 impacts for the moment:

1. I no longer find myself outside home not being able to listen to tidal as I almost always didn’t stop Roon from playing at home.
  2. I hope to quit playlist sync between Roon and tidal just for the outside of home listening

Wouldn’t Tidal stop the Roon stream at home and start playing on its app?

Can’t really see the point of collecting the data.
Roon by the development of the apps have denoted the intended use, who really cares what people are doing with them.
Roon will have usage stats and no doubt will use them to identify where to use development resources.

I don’t know why some people have assumed that this poll is a reflection of antipathy towards Roon as a company, Roon the product or ARC. I was genuinely interested in how much ARC has changed people’s listening behavior. Especially since it requires some tinkering with the network etc.

I for one have been very happy with ARC and it has been a breeze. I don’t happen to use it much because I haven’t been out all that much, but am glad others have been enjoying it.

3 Likes

Can you play qobuz through ARC?

Yes. And Tidal. They stream to your core then back to you through ARC. Everything that you can play on Roon “classic” you can play via ARC.

The difference between local and streamed tracks in the context of ARC is you cannot offline Qobuz or Tidal tracks to ARC. To offline streaming tracks you need to use the native apps.

1 Like

@ericafterdark @Neil_Small I’ve added this to the original post.

1 Like

Fully upgraded to 2.0 as it was launching, zero issues at home or with ARC. 7 home Roon endpoint, various DACs, Schiit, Cambridge, iFi, Audioquest with many Rpi based endpoints, zero issues. Absolutely love ARC in the car via phone/Carplay.

Nope, they stream directly from the service, but the Core is nevertheless involved, for fetching Roon metadata and maybe authentication

CarPlay is still in development :wink:

Quick followup - ARC worked perfectly out of the box with my home Eero mesh network, no tinkering required. I switch my lifetime membership Core license between 3 different Cores, again, no issues. I use ARC when traveling and switch to different Cores when needed. When leaving a non-base location, I remote into my home network to switch my Core license to my home base and use ARC on the road back home.

I use ARC on my phone connected to my CarPlay receiver, all good!

Yeah, but that’s not CarPlay as such. You have to use it on the phone, but it can display on the car’s screen. Else, CarPlay wouldn’t be in development for a future update

Stiil works perfectly despite not having a native Carplay “app”.

As using a phone during driving is illegal in most countries, having to do so is not “working perfectly”

But it’s fine, full CarPlay will come, and so will Android Auto

Ok interesting. My understanding was the core was determining the bandwidth - but it doesn’t sound unreasonable that the service would stream directly. I assumed that given one can have complex playlists it might make more sense to go through the core.