Roon vs Roon Server: what's stored where?

Hello all - I’m new here, and still in my trial 2-week period, but have a quick question re. the difference between Roon and Roon Server - specifically what’s stored where.

I’ve decided to upgrade my Roon Server machine (a Mac Mini - I’m replacing the HHD with an SSD). Roon itself runs on a MacBook which doesn’t need upgrading.

I will take a full backup of the Mini before I switch drives - but I’d prefer to start with a clean, newly-installed, system (rather than restoring from backup) - so I’m curious about what configuration is stored on the Server machine.

Am I right in thinking that all metadata is stored on the machine running Roon - not RoonServer?

RoonServer on a Mac seems to store its configuration in 3 folders:

~/Library/RAATServer
~/Library/RoonMounts
~/Library/RoonServer

– what do these contain - as opposed to what’s contained in ~/Library/Roon on the Roon (client) machine?

Thanks, Simon

The Roon Server folder will be the main one you care about – it has your database, library info, account info, edits, playlists, etc.

You can follow the instructions here to backup and migrate your Roon Server folder over to the new operating system install.

The other two folders have to do with audio and storage settings respectively, and you can easily reconfigure those once your database is up and running on the new hard drive.

RAATServer -> settings about audio endpoints
RoonMounts -> just an empty directory that we mount SMB shares in … MacOS Sierra prevents mounting in /Volumes now, so we needed another place to mount.
RoonServer -> all Roon Server settings and databases
Roon -> same as RoonServer, but for the Roon pkg

[quote=“Simon_Finch, post:1, topic:16380”]
Am I right in thinking that all metadata is stored on the machine running Roon - not Roon Server?
[/quote]Roon’s metadata is stored where the Roon Core is running:

• One a system with Roon running as Core then it will be on that machine.
  • One a system with Roon Server running the Core then it will be that machine.
  • Roon running as a Remote, does not store any metadata, only its own local configuration.

The is also Roon Bridge (not to be confused with Roon Server), which acts as an audio endpoint and communicates back to the Core via RAAT over the network.

Hope that helps.

That’s a lot clearer - thanks Mike, Danny & Carl.