Roon vs Windows10 vs Lyngdorf vs HDMI / Ethernet

Hi,

Just installed Roon on my windows 10 PC which I use for basically everything. I have always sendt audio and video over HDMI to my Lyngdorf MP60. But if I want to take full advantage of the ethernet streaming I can see I will get some issues.

So this is what happens now:
I start ROON on windows 10. If i start a song in Roon it cuts the HDMI signal to my TV and Lyngdorf goes into ethernet only mode and receives the signal. So guess this is designed to be used with a tablet… But I want to run everything from windows 10 and be able to do whatever I want in windows while listening to music.

It also works using HDMI. But then the computer will do all the magic / sync etc instead of letting the lyngdorf deal with all signal processing.

Anybody here has the same issue?

The only workaround as far as I can see is to send a mail to lyngdorf and ask if it is possible to add a “continue to bypass video over HDMI to TV through MP60 while network streaming” or something like that ?

2 Likes

Replying to myself with update.
So I stopped using HDMI to send audio to the Receiver and started using USB audio. So I dont have this issue now.

I set Decode only in Roon application so that the Lyngdorf deals with all signal processing.

Will this give same audio quality as using network streaming? etc ?

Is only something you can answer, as the responses will be as varied as those who respond. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is if you hear a preference one way or the other. Technically, you are giving the same bits to the Lyngdorf either way and it is doing the digital to audio conversion.

Hi,

thanks for feedback,

Correct me if im wrong, but if I did not read or understand some other post uncorrectly the disadvantage of not streaming using ethernet is that there is a 2 way “sync” communication that I will miss out in using USB or HDMI or whatever compared to ethernet.

Hmm. USB has two way communication. HDMI does not. But, that has nothing to do with audio quality.

Hi thanks :slight_smile: ok. So I basically just wonder if all Roons feautures will come to use using USB as compared to network. Except for ethernet/network having better insulation for noise?

There are no features lost between the two. The main item is Roon can display what the DAC is doing (if anything) in Roon’s signal path. As for ethernet isolation? I’m of two minds. I say try both and go with what sounds better to you. Some say they can hear a difference, some cannot.

Thanks for feedback :slight_smile: Very helpful! :slight_smile: ive ordered a “audioquest” USB jitterbug stick and a high quality isolated USB cable. So should be good :slight_smile:

What i am slightly unsure about still is what to setup to USB device from the computer to do.

If I click “renderer only” and enable “MQA core decoder” it seems to send a 88.2 Khz signal to the receiver.

If I click “decode only” and disable MQA core encoder it seems to send 48 or 44 Khz to the receiver. So basically the TIDAL master files are 48khz? So what is the point of upsampling the signal with “renderer” to 88 or 92 Khz?

Thanks for all info :slight_smile:
Regards,

Are you planning on playing mqa?
Is your DAC mqa capable?

Hi,

Yes I am playing MQA with TIDAL.
The lyngdorf MP60 is not MQA capable at the moment.

Then you would want this…

This is telling Roon to do the first unfold before sending it to the DAC. In order to get the next step, you must have an MQA based DAC to do the final upsampling also known as Rendering. When looking at MQA if you see something like 24/48 MQA 96. The 96 (or whatever) is only telling you the original source file’s resolution; after undergoing MQA processing it becomes a 24/48 file (output depends on the sample rate family of the original source file).

You could also set it to “No MQA Support” since that is what your DAC really is. Roon defaults everything to Renderer. This setting is telling Roon what your DAC MQA capabilities are.

Hi thanks,

Well, if I see it unfold the MQA from 44 or 48 up to 88.2 or 90+ I can also see on the Lyngdorf MP60 display that it receives this higher bitrate and music is playing.

But according to Lyngdorf the MP60 is not MQA capable as there is no info about it. Only TDAI 3400 has MQA.

So why is the processor able to receive and play unfolded 88.2 or 92? is it actually supposed to render it higher up if the processor was MQA capable?

Yes, this is correct. The second step of the MQA process can only be done by an MQA DAC, as I mentioned earlier.

The MQA process is in two steps. Decode/Render. Roon can do the first step, which will result in either an 88.1 or 96 file, as you are seeing. As mentioned to do the Render step you need an MQA DAC. This means that for non-MQA DACs they can have some benefit from MQA files.

Thanks.

So my current setup as regards to MQA is as good as it get now then. The amplifier sees the 88.2 and 96 khz :slight_smile:

Much appretiated

1 Like