Roon we need to talk (about genres)

Have you tried editing the roon genre hierarchy to match your own? You can also map your genres onto roon genres and rename the roon ones to match your own. Is there a reason that doesn’t work for you? I’m surprised you have had to resort to building an entire parallel hierarchy with an ‘x’ suffix if I understand correctly what you say.

I haven’t re-structured/mapped the entire roon hierarchy but I have done that with small corners of it that are important to me and found it a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn’t. But I cannot see a pattern so I am curious about others experiences.

Tony
I have not visited this since the post that this is a part of: I found a work around that worked and left it at that.
I do not know if Roon has changed how this all works - I doubt it because they are focused on more important things, which I have no problem with.
There is indeed a French genre and a Cocktail genre etc in Roon, but they are Roon genres in a Roon genre hierarchy. I have no desire to go through their hierarchy to find French.
If I define the Genre using “French” then I must select “International” then “Western European Traditions” then French:

Then two more clicks I get to French:

That is more opaque and less easy for normal people to browse through, even though I might know that under international lie: Italian, French, Spanish, Irish etc etc.
So, for now I stick to French x so that all my genre identifiers are at the same level and relatively transparent.
Does that explain why there is a problem, for me, with Roon genres?
Peter

Sounds like you don’t want a hierarchy. Another workaround would have been to set all genres as top level genres but not worth bothering with if you already have a solution. I can see it was mentioned a couple of times further up.

Personally, I don’t think I have used that genre screen more than once or twice for the reasons you say. If I want “French”, I just type it in the hourglass and scroll down. But I have found that mapping my genres to roon and restructuring parts of the hierarchy seems to improve the radio picks which is a feature I use a lot.

This may not be what you are after @Peter_Davies1, but did you know that genres appear in search results?

Thanks, Joel.
That pulls up a lot of things, which is great for search.
In my simple case I just wanted to create a Genre called French without getting meshed in International \ Western European Traditions \ French…
French x works!
Peter

I’m also confused. Why the hell “Brutal Death Metal” or “Grindcore” is under Pop-Rock hierarchy? I do not have any Pop artist.

It would be nice to be able to see all of the Roon genres/sub-genres in a list view with the # of albums in each. Perhaps this is something that can be done already and I’m missing how to.

And how in the world is there no “Polka” sub-genre?

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jaysus @Bill_Janssen! You had me spraying a drink through my nose.

Wouldn’t that be something, audiophile Polka? Go Rosamunda!

Sometimes Roon radio can follow a very poppy song with a death metal song because, unless I edit them, they’re both classed as pop/rock! They could hardly be more different.

I feel your pain. Combining pop & rock is the single biggest failure in the Roon genre systems

1 Like