Roon WiFi implementation is inadequate. Tired of dropouts

Roon Core Machine

Roon for Linux. PC ultrabook.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus ZenWiFi AX mesh WiFi system

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node 2i
I have a mesh wifi system with a router and 1 node. Roon core is on one end (node side). Bluesound Node 2i is on the other end (router side). Both sides of the network are wired with Ethernet cable locally, but connected via 5GHz WiFi backhaul.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon is completely incapable of riding out even the most minute WiFi interruptions.

I can stream just fine on my main system located next to the Roon core (wired). However, I experience frequent dropouts when streaming to the Node 2i (connected via 5GHz backhaul).

I have no difficulty using other streaming software. I have experienced this with both the Bluesound device as well as two different Chromecast devices. The problem isn’t the Node 2i. My WiFi backhaul connection isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty good. I can often get 500 Mbps speeds with sub 10-second pings over the backhaul.

But apparently even the tiniest hiccup causes the Node 2i to lose connection with the core. I’m sick of it.

I have optimized WiFi channels and bandwidth, as well as placement of router and node to the best of my ability, given my constraints.

What you need to do is fix your software to be more robust to small interruptions that can occur over WiFi.

Perhaps there is a better streamer app for your setup? I’d bet Roon will get better at the whole WiFi issue over time, but it may not match your timetable for improvement.

If I were you, I’d cancel my subscription immediately and begin research on a more suitable substitute. Good luck on your search!

1 Like

I have some luck with Bluesound/roon on wifi but it does drop out. I use a mesh system and i have spotty performance when connecting my single wifi device. What seems to work well is a direct wired connection via TP Link device through the electrical lines. I have had zero problems.

Note: The Blusound app has no problem with wifi but then it is nowhere as powerful as Roon.

TL;DR If you want what Roon is designed for, you have to configure your network appropriately. Otherwise, as @John_V observes, other apps may be better for you.

1 Like

I am afraid the WiFi debate will continue , check the forum most continuity complaints about Roon are from WiFi users.

I make no judgement on the quality of your WiFi but Roon is very demanding from a network perspective take it or leave it

Due to my inability to have a wired connection to my main NAD amp with a Bluesound module, I use a Netgear Obi mesh WiFi system. The router is in my study at one end of a long house and is hard wired to the Roon core on a NUC running ROCK. I initially had two Orbi satellites, with one connected by ethernet cable to the NAD in my lounge room. I expected this to be more than sufficient for WiFi coverage to all rooms in the house. However, Roon was not copping but BlueOS worked perfectly. So I purchased a third satellite and put it in the daisy chain with an excellent result. I have had a flawless Roon experience for over a year now. My take (guess) is that by reducing the distance the 5G backhaul (the virtual wired connection) had to travel by adding a third satellite enabled ROON to work without hiccup.

Exactly. BluOS works fine.
The issue is Roon. It needs to be more robust to, presumably, the occasional packet loss or hiccup like everything else is.

I ended up getting a pair of powerline ethernet adapters to connect my mesh nodes. Now I have an ethernet backline and it’s much more stable. Of course now I have a bunch of noise on my powerlines.

It’s a tradeoff. Robustness to packet loss means poor cross endpoint synchronization for multi-endpoint zones, and loss of sound quality, which may or may not matter to particular users and use cases. In theory, Roon could use a lot more buffering for single endpoint play, smoothing over packet losses (as some other streaming software does) and fall back to its current constraints for multiple endpoint play. But that might lead to a whole new set of complaints when play that works beautifully on a single endpoint fails miserably when several endpoints are expected to play in sync.