Roon will not display after login

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Running Windows 7 64 bit pro. Intel® Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50Ghz on machine.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue Hi, updated today and now Roon will not display after login.

I have removed the package and cleaned registry with no change.

Any suggestions?

Hi @Iain_Gibb, there’s some reports of issues with build 521 on certain graphics cards.

It will help Roon’s @support to know what GPU you PC is using.

Whilst waiting for Roon, can I suggest you check on the GPU manufacture’s website that you have the latest drivers installed.

H, GPU Geforce GTX 660ti, driver version 442.19 which I updated on the 21/02/2020 before I updated roon today.

Thanks for update, that’s another datapoint for the Roon team.

I wish the them best speed in getting to the root cause of these issues.

Hi @Iain_Gibb,

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing?

Hi @Iain_Gibb,

Can you please try re-installing Roon with a fresh database?

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Does that help?

Still same problem. Can I send log.txt

Hi @Iain_Gibb

Yes, please use these instructions to access your Logs folder, can you upload the log file to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and private message me a link?

Hi @Iain_Gibb,

Thanks for sending that log file over. I am looking through it and you appear to be getting some multicast errors in the logs. Can you please provide some more information regarding your network setup? What model/manufacturer are you using? Do you have the latest router firmware installed?

Hi Im away on business for a couple of days. I will send when i get back

Router is a nighthawk r8000. Latest firmware installed, version v1.0.4.46. Virgin broadband 350mps. PC connected via wireless and cat6 for resilience.

Hi @Iain_Gibb,

Thank you for that additional information.

Just to confirm here - you have both the Wireless and Ethernet active at the same time on this Core? Is there any change in behavior in Roon if you temporarily disable the WiFi and use just Ethernet to connect to the network?

No change. The setup as I described is no different than before when ROON was working. Only difference is I updated ROON.

Still no luck. I have re-downloaded your exe file in case there was a problem with file. Cleaned registry again. Deleted all ROON folders in my users, run malware, run virus checks. Re-installed still same problem. Running programme as administrator.

Is there possibly something in my registry that I am not removing. I have used ROON as key word for search. Are there any other key words perhaps.

Any advice

Hi @Iain_Gibb,

Thanks you for trying the full reinstall.

I am going to request some additional feedback from QA regarding your case.

Can I please request a new set of logs from your Core following the full re-install? I would like to verify if I’m seeing the same errors regarding multicast as I did before.

Thank you!

I have sent last three attempts. After a deep clean the setup page did appear once to allow me to set music folder location but then stopped. Last few attempts all i get is the roon graphic pulsing. Left it doing that all night but nothing happened

1 Like

Hi @Iain_Gibb,

Thanks for sending those new logs over. I can confirm I’m seeing the same traces as before.

I have added this info and logs to your case notes and it is pending review by QA, once I hear back from them I will be sure to update you accordingly. Thanks for your patience.

Hi @Iain_Gibb,

I appreciate your patience while QA has had a chance to review your case. I spoke to them regarding this behavior and we are seeing a networking-related errors in your log, specifically this trace:

02/24 21:50:50 Warn: [multicastreceiver] couldn't bind to iface 10.10.10.63: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
   at Sooloos.MulticastSocketHelper.Bind()
02/24 21:50:50 Warn: [multicastreceiver] couldn't bind to iface 127.0.0.1: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
   at Sooloos.MulticastSocketHelper.Bind()
02/24 21:50:50 Critical: while dispatching events: System.InvalidOperationException: You must call the Bind method before performing this operation.
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.BeginReceiveFrom(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, EndPoint& remoteEP, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at Sooloos.Audio.UPnP.DeviceTracker._ReceiveMulticast(Socket s, Byte[] buf)
   at Sooloos.Audio.UPnP.DeviceTracker.Start()
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Module.Enable()
   at Sooloos.Concurrency.EventHandlers.Dispatch(List`1 evs)
   at Sooloos.Concurrency.SharedState`1.FlushEvents()

QA has advised that we proceed as follows:

1. Let’s try setting the old database aside again to ensure that everything is in a fresh state:
  1. Try starting Roon as a regular user, in non-admin mode.

2. Verify that Roon & RAATServer have been added to your Windows Firewall and any other firewalls you may have on this PC:

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.