Roon will not load on Macbook Pro

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B16
SMC Version (system): 2.18f10
Serial Number (system): C02MN6FTFD56
Hardware UUID: 835E62E5-698D-5C68-8382-90F88A590FC6

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C7800

PROBLEM: ROON quit unexpectedly.I have tried everything on the Roon Site and I can not get Roon to load on my MacBookPro. I get the following message:

ROON quit unexpectedly.

Process: Roon [7313]
Path: /Volumes/VOLUME/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon
Identifier: com.roon.Roon
Version: 1.0
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [135]
Responsible: Roon [7313]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-03-02 12:55:37.319 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: E8043EB4-8A8D-B65F-A23B-DFB4DD325C86

Sleep/Wake UUID: FC6D1DBB-FB03-4E46-877C-C303FBB2284B

Crashed Thread: 0 tid_707 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSInvalidArgumentException’, reason: ‘-[NSOpenGLContext pixelFormat]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7ffa09f2c630’
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Can someone with Roon help me understand what the problem might be that is causing this error message upon simply trying to load roon.

Hi @Paul_Doran

Was Roon working previously on this machine?

Does it start up at all or do you get an error as soon as you try opening the app?

Is there any change if you uninstall and reinstall?

No the Macbook Pro has never had Roon installed. I am new to Roon. I was only able to install the Installer file and drag it to Applications. When I click to install it crash and I get the message I copied above, I have deleted and reinstalled the file several times and made sure my firewall is off.

What does this mean?

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSInvalidArgumentException’, reason: ‘-[NSOpenGLContext pixelFormat]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7ffa09f2c630’
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Can someone please provide me with assistance?

Thanks,

Paul

Can some one explain to me what I need to do to get technical assistance on the above issue?

I need help. Why is this so difficult. Is there a fee I can pay to just get someone to help me install roon. Is there a phone number I can call or anything? I don’t care about the cost. This is crazy. I just want help!!

Hi,

My first guess is that you use a very much too old MacOS version (you mention version 10.9).

The Roonlabs site states compatibility with 10.9+ but I would not trust this blindly.

Otherwise, you seem to try to run the installer or the Roon app from the mounted volume. You should not do this.

Steps to try:

1. Download Roon.dmg from the Roonlabs download site.
  2. Open the dmg file
  3. Drag the Roon.app to the Apps folder within the above dialog
  4. Start the Roon.app from the Apps folder
  5. If presented with authorization dialog, say “Open”
  6. Enjoy

Steef

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

@Paul_Doran — I just noticed the macOS version in the trace that you shared. In order to run Roon you’ll need to use at least macOS 10.10.X. Can you try updating the version of macOS your device uses?

Thanks!

@dylan can you please update the web page with minimal require?

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-what-are-the-minimum-requirements States 10.9+

Steef

Done — Thanks, @Steef_de_Bruijn

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.