Roon will not upsample content

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Not sure, the MacBook is connected to our newwork via Ethernet connection.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Streamingi Roon from the MacBook pro to a Chord QuTest DAC

Description Of Issue

Roon no longer is upsampling any of the music it streams. It is outputting only at 44,100 and there is no upsampling at all. It only happens when i use Roon. If i use Tidal, the DAC will upsample to 786. But as soon as i use Roon the sampling rate goes down to 44,100.

Hello @JIM_REVIS,

The Tidal app does not support upsampling. If you have manually set the sample rate in Audio MIDI setup.app to 768kHz, then all audio played to the “System Output” will be resampled by the macOS audio system to 768kHz.

If you would like for Roon to use the macOS resampler, you should play to the “System Output” zone in Roon.

That said, it is not recommended to use the macOS resampler. The Chord Qutest automatically upsamples all inputs using its WTA filters which are of much higher quality than the macOS resampler.

You should play to the “Qutest” zone in Roon with “Exclusive Mode” enabled in the Device Setup for the best sound quality. This will allow Roon to play to the device in “Bit-Perfect” mode.

-John

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.