Roon will only play half the song What to do?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 on laptop

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wireless to laptop.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
My laptop is streaming via WIFI and hooked to a Pro-Ject Prebox 2 DAC into a basic Pre Amp and 2 channel amp. I am using Tidal. The songs start playing and then about half way through every track it skips to the next track. It will never complete a full song.

What is your wifi and network speed, using wifi connected core is going to be marginal at best…also having a wireless connection to an endpoint doubles the issues of using wifi.

see https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices

Hi @John_Wahl,

As noted in our Networking Guide, we recommend using an Ethernet connection for your Core whenever possible. Can you give Ethernet a try and let us k now if there is any improvement?

Still drops some songs when hooked with Ethernet…But it seems to only be dropping the signal on Tital MQA files…Please help before my trial period is up. I think I only have a few days left. I love the sound quality and interaction of Roon, but the dropped signal part way into a song is killing me. Thanks, John

Add the details of your internet speed and your router. The symptoms sound like a network issue.

1 Like

Down = 42.2Mbps Up= 4.6Mbps

The Modem and wireless router is a Actiontec C1000A for Century Link 802.11n WIFI router

And hooked to this we have the Asus Dual Band USB wireless Router Model # RT-AC1200

I have hooked it up directly with a wire to the Actiontec and took the Asus out of the picture and have the same problem.

This drop is happening on WiFi and with the Cable connected

Update: I tried Tidal alone without Roon and it also dropped songs on my Asus Laptop…So I hooked up an old Apple Mini and Tidal without roon works great, sounds like crap but works…Unfortunately the Mini is too old to run Roon.

Hi @John_Wahl,

Glad to hear that you’re up and running with the Mac Mini instead of the Asus Laptop, this is a good step that narrows down the issue to the Core itself in this case. I am not sure if you plan on having Roon reside on the Mac Mini since that is working, but if you want to take another look at the Windows Laptop as the Roon Core, I would next check for any firewalls on the PC and verify if the behavior is the same with Windows Defender temporarily disabled. If you are happy with using Roon on the Mac Mini though, just let us know and we can close the case, thanks!

Hi Noris,

I need Roon to reside on my Asus Laptop. The Roon is not working with my Mac Mini because its too old. Tidal works fine on the Mac Mini wothout Roon, but I do not like the sound quality. I also tried an HP laptop and it too dropped MQA songs half way. So the only hardware I have new enough to run Roon is my 1 year old Asus. Also Is my network fast enough? please see specs above, Any thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks,

John

Hi @John_Wahl,

Since the issue is only occurring on the Windows-based laptops I would next verify that Roon is not being blocked by the Windows Defender firewall. You can temporarily try turning the firewall off to see if it triggers any change in behavior, or you can use these instructions to add Roon.exe and RAATServer.exd as exceptions to the firewall.

Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.

I would also verify how Roon performs on other zones as well, not just on the ProJect zone in case this issue is device-specific. Even trying “System Output” to the laptop’s speakers should give us a good data point.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.