Roon will play one album then subsequent albums won't play?

Roon Core Machine

iMac, Mid 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet using plug-in extenders from router through house.

Connected Audio Devices

Dragonfly Black 1.5 connected via USB to my iMac and outputting to a mini desktop hifi.

Library Size

188,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Hi,

I’m a new Roon user working with a very basic setup which has improved my working from home setup over the last 6 weeks or so.

Up until this week everything has been running fine, I’m very happy with the interface and the Dragonfly has had a noticeable difference to my listening experience while I work.

However, for the last couple of days, after starting my machine I can play the first album I select but once I try to play a second after the first has finished I get no audio? Roon will try to start playing track 1, nothing will play, the blue graphic will dance beside the track number but the play bar won’t progress past 0:00, after some seconds it skips forward to track 2 etc etc.

Restarting Roon will often mean no connection to my Audio Zone.

Restarting my machine will lead to being able to play 1 album, and the problem reoccurs?

On my previous 5-6 weeks of use I’ve been able to listen continuously for 6+ hours a day without any issue.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or thoughts on what may be causing the problem. I don’t believe I’ve changed anything within my system over the last week, apart from maybe updating Zoom?

Thanks,
John

Hey there @John_Kilcar

Welcome to Roon Community, good to see you. :wave: We’re sorry that your first visit was to clear up an issue but we’d be happy to help with this.

Couple quick questions for you:

Does this issue occur when you use other endpoints or only when you use the Dragonfly Black? If you play to system output on the iMac, without using the Dragonfly, does this still occur?

Is the USB dongle you’re using a camera adapter model?

Can you please check to ensure that the latest firmware has been installed for the Dragonfly Black? You can find that at this link:

I’ll watch this space for your reply and get back to you as soon as I can!

1 Like

Hi @jamie

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I’ve been distracted with work.

My setup is very much in its infancy so the only endpoint I’m using at the moment is the Dragonfly Black while I work. Prior to my original post I had updated the firmware but it didn’t seem to make a difference.

After some research of my own, I’ve discovered that if I run Terminal, and issue the command ‘sudo killall coreaudiod’ it resets my audio output and resolves the issue. Not ideal, but it works.

I can only guess that there’s a conflict somewhere with drivers or software, but until that’s resolved it’s a workaround.

Cheers,
John

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.