Networking Gear & Setup Details

BT Smart Hub 2, Netgear GS324 24 Port Gigabit Switch, Apple Time Capsule
All hard wired Cat5e Ethernet cables

Connected Audio Devices

2009 mac Mini, 2013 Mac Pro, 2020 iMac all hardwired ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

13387 tracks

Description of Issue

The ROON window on the mac running the ROON Core, the Mac mini (Mid 2011), has a blacked out header bar.

All the functionality buttons are there and work e.g. ‘Minimise’ and ‘Enter Full Screen’ I just cannot see them for the blackout!
All the other macs show the ROON window header bar normally.
For the Core mac in System Preferences > General I have selected Dark mode
In ROON I have Settings > Setup > Theme I have selected Dark mode
I have tried;

• setting the mac to Light Mode, the rest of the mac windows change to Light mode but the ROON window header bar remains blacked out.
  • setting the ROON mode to Light, most of the ROON window changes to Light mode but the ROON header remains blacked out
  • every combination of the 2 settings

Its a pretty minor problem in the grand scheme of things. But I find it irritating so would like to fix it.
Anyone got any ideas of what else I can try?

see below enter full screen

and back

exit full screen

The rest is mostly controlled by the operating system (window decoration) itself. Is different for Windows, Linux and Mac.

1 Like

Hey @Adrian_Berry,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and sharing this in so much detail.

Is by any chance your OS in dark mode? If you select light mode, do you see the same thing?

Hi Uwe,
Thanks for contributing :slightly_smiling_face:
When I go to Full Screen the header bar looks Ok, its grey and I can see the buttons. As soon as I Exit Full Screen, the header bar returns to blacked out

1 Like

Hi Rebeka,
Thanks for coming back to me :slightly_smiling_face:
It makes no difference if the OS is in Dark or Light mode
Similarly it makes no difference if the ROON Theme is set to Light or Dark

I don’t have a Mac at hand right now, but this will work similarly there via settings:

Here is my first example for Linux (KDE-Desktop)

Hi Uwe,
Your screenshots show it working as it should and as it actually does on my other macs. For example on my mac pro this is ROON set to Dark

and this is ROON set to Light

However this does not work on the mac mini running the ROON Core
Here is Dark

and here is Light

As you can see, in both cases the header bar is completely black. No buttons are visible at all.

You change only roon not system settings general on MacOS

So now I’m on the Mac and find under System Preferences General immediately all the options to change the appearance, behavior and colors. Just play around with it.

Hi Ewe,
as I said in my original post, I have already tried changing the Light and Dark mode in the mac OS and in ROON. There are 4 possible combinations and I have tried all 4. The header bar in ROON remains stubbornly blacked out for all 4 combinations :sob:

I only have this one really old device here and I’m not a Mac expert either, had to read up on how Sreenshot works first, but no matter which version, there must be behavior and color settings for the title bar that are set completely independently of Roon.

On a Mac you can choose Light or Dark and that setting applies to all windows, except Roon. I guess that is because Roon is multi platform, it does it’s own Light and Dark mode instead of taking the setting from the host OS.

Point is that on my other 3 Mac devices the Roon header bar behaves properly. On 1 machine the header bar is permanently blacked out in spite of the rest of the Roon window following the Light or Dark setting. And it is only happening on the Roon window. All other windows behave as expected

Perhaps Apple has introduced some finer settings here or abandoned them again. For me, it looked like I could set more than light and dark.

@Adrian_Berry Silly question, but have you deleted the remote and installed a fresh one?

Hmm. No I haven’t. How do you delete just the remote leaving the Core in place?
The problem is occurring on the machine that is acting as my Roon Core. As far as I know Roon Core and Roon Remote are the same piece of software. There is only 1 Roon App in my applications folder.
So if I delete that Roon app then I will lose the core as well. Which I assume means that I will also lose the database as well?

I don’t know how an uninstall works on a Mac, but in Windows, when you uninstall Roon, you get an option to leave your Roon database and settings in place, so that a new install can carry on using them…

However, even if the option does not exist, you can always restore a Roon Backup to the new installation (you are taking regular Backups, aren’t you?)

Right. Sorry. I thought this was a remote and your core was unaffected.

Nevertheless, as @Geoff_Coupe advised, back everything up (Roon), delete the app and install a fresh copy. Then restore everything from backup.

After all, there was an expert here after the release of Roon 1.8 who changed it to all sorts of colors in a few easy steps. Who has the contribution quickly only hand?

That would be yes yet another solution for customization and it remains just also the possibility that not all old operating systems were as flexible customizable as we know it today.

Sorry for the slow reply to everyone, I’ve had an interesting couple of days.

As we do not seem to understand the root cause of the blacked out header bar, but it does seem to be a roon specific problem, I decided to clean out and do a fresh install.
However, my main music library is an Apple Music library was in a bit of a mess because it started in iTunes, migrated through several computers and then morphed into Music. Sorting that out and getting all the files in the recommended place took quite some time as I hit the known Apple problem of different free space being reported by Disk Utility and Finder. DaisyDisk fixed that for me.
I deleted the roon app and /Users/USERNAME/Library/Roon folder. Downloaded a fresh copy of roon and installed it. The header bar is still blacked out!
Tried again, this time also deleting the folder /Users/USERNAME/Library/RAATServer. Same problem still there.

So unless anyone has a new flash of inspiration, I’m just going to have to live with the problem :sleepy:

I suspect you understand your old MAC better than others who have to think their way into this problem without having it themselves. Your further execution also shows that a lot of knowledge is already present with you. There will be just on this one machine with an older macOS version no more color adjustment. With full screen no problem.

The mac mini is running macOS Catalina version 10.15.7. So not a very old OS.

I could try a fresh install, but that is a hassle. So I’m not going to do it.