Roon Windows Client freezes after update to 1.8 build931

Roon Core Machine

Irrelevant. Only client freezes. Music continues playing and roon core can still be controlled e.g. via Android app

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Windows client accesses core via Wifi

Connected Audio Devices

None on the controller Windows machine

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When using the Windows controller client on Windows 10, the client freezes after about 10-30minutes. Music continues playing and I can control roon core e.g. via Android App. I can restart the Windows10 controller client without issues.

This did not happen before upgrading to version 1.8 build931. I’m using roon daily.

2 Likes

I’m seeing this also, on occasion (Added for emphasis).

1 Like

I’ve seen this on MacOS too, but only when trying to load certain artist pages. Searching for an artist and trying to load his page can occasionally freeze or crash the Roon app.

On April 14th I opened a support thread on this problem, without reply by @support. But I just now discovered that a reply by another user who reported his own problem is marked as solution… that’s probably why Roon support wouldn’t take on my support request. Is it possible for one of the @moderators to please reopen my thread?

Similar issue started with Build (923) update but it altered the remote software so the problem still existed after restarting the remote session and rebooting the laptop. I had a support ticket in but didn’t get any response from Roon. After 9 days I deleted the software and reinstalled. That fixed the issue so I marked it as the solution so the ticket would get closed.

I’ve been having roon client crashes as well. I run it on my work laptop to connect to my person computer which is also running roon and connect to the DAC. The client on my work laptop will crash after a while when I try to do anything in it. This issue started with build 931. Yesterday I got a new work laptop and installed roon. It crashes as well. In both cases I’m running Windows 11 build 22000.613. Both laptops are intel based but several generations apart and different brands.

Here is what is in event viewer:

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x624fe354
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4470.0, time stamp: 0x61b72dcc
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b334
Faulting process id: 0x4c14
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8565a225caed7
Faulting application path: C:\Users<MYID>\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: caa47405-99bd-4cf0-87be-c57a9f00c7d3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

1 Like

I would think this is the sort of malfunction that an app developer (@support) would jump on.

C’mon guys, give the OP a little love.

1 Like

Hi All,

This error is related to .NET, can you please confirm that you have the latest .NET installed? Can you try and install the latest and see if the error still occurs? Download link below:

I have the exact same problem. I downloaded the dot.net from the link Noris provided. The installer confirmed that I had the latest version of Dot.Net Installed on my Windows 10 PC.
.Net

Here are my Specs:

I get the same thing as described since updating to version 1.8 build93

The Windows 10 Client Freezes, music continues to play and I can control with my android remote. The Windows 10 Client is frozen and must be restarted. This happens daily and did not before this.

From the Event Log: Event ID 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x627996f1
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4470.0, time stamp: 0x61b72dcc
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b334
Faulting process id: 0xf5c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8663bdccbcf3b
Faulting application path: C:\Users\minky\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: 50d65212-f832-4583-b1a3-96ac251219f6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This occurs on both streaming of Qobuz or accessing local library on my SATA connected internal Hard Drive. I am hard wired LAN into my router/Cable internet. @support any updates on this. The .Net link provided does not apply to my situation as I have the latest version. Thanks!

Scott Grant
[Email hidden by staff]

1 Like

I’ve had this issue on my Dell XPS 15 for a while. I don’t remember when it started.

1 Like