Roon with no internet [offline functionality restored with Build 1365]

Also, the choice of skipped tracks needs to be on the available SSD so not lost with every reboot.

There’s a multitude of network equipment and operating system network code out there, and a comparable multitude of behaviors when the user’s LAN loses its connection to the ISP. For instance, would you able to vouch for every piece of gear on your LAN happily continuing to communicate with everything else on the same LAN if DNS goes out? You might be surprised about how many things freeze without DNS, even though in theory they should not need it to talk locally.

TL; DR The detailed advisory you request would run to 100s of pages and still be incomplete, and soon outdated.

Not strictly true. Just about every screen you access in Roon is pulling content from Roon’s cloud infrastructure and you have no ability to disable that.

If you don’t have any Streaming Services enabled then those items are disabled.

Unless I’m mistaken the popular tracks and similar artists in any artist view are pulled and filtered from cloud as is every sort default that relies on popularity (i.e. what Roon users play most).

Your system will play local files when offline, but you can’t run offline for weeks at a time.

You will be required to be online if you want any of Roon’s Valence driven features.

1 Like

This is most likely caused by a missing DHCP server on your network. I know for example that when my internet connection drops, my router starts cycling services and attempting re-connections and restarts automatically. The router is also my DHCP server, so my local devices can lose connectivity with each other.

Thanks Tim – this sounds logical, since my iPhone and Pad are still connected to the router via wifi, and the Nucleus is connected via hardline. However, they lose contact with each other once internet goes out. I admit I don’t have the IT knowledge to dig into my router (or iPad?) to fix it, so I’m hoping Roon can write either a bit of code or a clear explanation on how we can deal with it. Meanwhile – back to CDs during those times.

And, that all goes away if you Disable your streaming services

Streaming services disabled, I still get an ever so brief pulsating logo followed by a populated list of popular tracks as well as similar artists.

I just had internet come back up after a three hour outage. During that time, my iPad was functional streaming my local library.

So Danny can you explain why this is all I get from the app when my internet goes down. Which it has done 10 times today. Worst it’s ever been since I have had it. They have a fault they are working on.

It’s also the same on mac book Pro and Windows. Can’t play a single thing. Had to resort to bubbleupnp app.

Lan is functioning as normal, my modem is not part of the router so DHCP is unaffected. I can access my Nas and use my Naim app but no Roon.

1 Like

Can you PM me your Roon username? Also, what screen are you on?

Have you concluded that it’s not your router that messes up things?
My ASUS RT-58AX (in conjunction with the fibre converterin the building) makes a total mess of my network when internet access is lost unexpectedly. On the other hand, my “stand alone Roon kit” (iMac+5Tb drive) gladly runs Roon when off the grid, only once a month or so it wants Internet access to validate my license/activation.

I decided to have a play around with this. When I physically disconnected the internet but left everything else intact I’m happy to report that local playback was available for both my endpoints (yes, I have a very modest set up!). I could also use the Android app as a remote. I’ve assigned fixed IP addresses to everything so don’t know if that helps things???

It might be, but why I can play music using BubbleUPnP and my Naim app surely they would have a similar issue if it’s my router. Given others have reported issues in other threads it does seem Roon isn’t overly happy in certain network setups when it looses internet. I am not changing my network setup for one app that can’t cope with it. But I do want to know the reason as to whats causing it to see if there is a solution I can put to my gears support. A simple it must be your network is not the answer as a customer I want. If it is down to an incompatibility with my network I will accept it but want to know the reasons for this. That’s not much to ask.

1 Like

Agreed, i don’t see the same behaviour.
Still, it might be a challenge to find the exact reasons for your situation.

That is probably more likely the case.

Hi Simon, did Danny explain why Roon didn’t work with internet down?

Nothing as yet. I also need to do some more testing of my setup to rule out some things but not had time to do so yet.