ROON won’t send MQA to my SMSL SU-9, I think

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 - most current Roon as of 3/20/21

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Computer connected to Internet via Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PC is directly connected to my SMSL SU-9 DAC via USB.

Description Of Issue

Hi!

I have the Audio-GD R28 r2r DAC as well as the SMSL SU-9, and both are great DACs. Both are connected to my PC via USB.

When playing an MQA track, I can get the su-9 to decode and process MQA just fine when using the Tidal desktop app (I know this because the su-9 will show the MQA icon and the sample rate on its screen).

However, with the Roon desktop app, no matter what MQA settings I have enabled on the app, my su-9 will never show MQA.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Can you share a screenshot of the device settings and signal path?

Hi!

Seems to be working now. A reboot was all it needed (no surprise).

But here’s a screenshot anyhow to make sure I’m doing it right. The SU9 I have to coding on the device itself and with the R 28, I have ROON doing the decoding.

Thanks!

1 Like

Both look good to me. Note that the Su-9 signal path is enhanced since Roon understands this is a full decoder and has performed the second unfold, i.e. there is MQA signalling present.

In contrast, the R28 show lossless because Roon hands over at the WASAPI interface.

1 Like

Great. Thank you so much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.