Roon won't allow access to external drive to backup music?

I have a Salkstream III running some version of Linux (ARCH?). It has an internal drive where Roon and my music resides. I also have an external portable USB disk drive connected to the Salkstream for backups.

Before setting up Roon to do automatic database backups, I could access the external drive and backup my music files from the internal drive. Since setting up Roon for automatic backups to the external USB drive, I get this message when I try to do a music file backup;

“Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened. The volume may be already mounted, or another may use it which could be identified for example by the help of the ‘fuser’ command”

The first time I saw this, I figured it was just telling me it’s already mounted, so I proceeded with the music backup command, per the Salkstream III manual, and it appeared to backup as normal. To my horror, today I discovered that the music was just being backed up to another folder on the internal drive, and this has been going on the past 3 years!!! Btw, looking at the external USB drive contents, I can see the Roon backups and it appears to be current. Thank goodness I do have a second music backup file on my Windows PC!

So it appears that Roon backup isn’t allowing me to access the same external USB disk drive to back up my music files as well. Is there a way to fix this?

For reference, I know next to nothing about Linux, other than following the backup instructions in the Salkstream III manual.

Hmmm…nobody? It surely seemed there are many members here familiar with Linux, which is why I posted here. :frowning:

Fortunately, I was able to get help on another forum. Here’s the link if anyone reading this thread is interested.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166588.msg1770099#new

I also know nothing about Linux. However, I was going to suggest you try turning off the automatic Roon backup feature and see if that allows you to back up your music to the USB drive. Maybe even unplug it and plug it back in.

Thanks James. I appreciate the response. :smiley:

It turns out Roon wasn’t doing anything to prevent a music backup. The issue turned out to be the way I was performing the backup and my lack of Linux knowledge. The first 4 posts in the thread I linked explains what was happening (too lazy to repost all of it here :relaxed: )

There’s some other things I learned as well (also in the linked thread). :smiley:

As of right now it seems everything is working correctly…fingers crossed!

1 Like