Roon won't get past splash screen after Windows 10 update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

WIN10 Pro (Version 2004; OS Build 10.0.19041.450)
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0;
x64 running on Intel i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) / Roon 1.7 (build 571) Stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NETGEAR Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System; Model: MK63

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cary Audio AiOS wired and via WiFi

Description Of Issue
After the last Windows update my Roon core is not booting up. When I start it, it displays a quote and then goes into perpetual display of Roon animated logo.
It has worked flawlessly for the last ~2 years. The only other recent change is that i added Dropbox as a Service (in addition to TIDAL and Qubuz).

DropBox can not be an audio source.

When you add DropBox as a service that is for backup of your Roon library.

So adding DropBox To Settings==>Services probably isn’t the problem.

What does Settings==>Services and Settings==>Storage look like?

Sorry, you are right - the DBox was added as a service. I can’t start up Roon so I can’t access the settingsto tell you what the “Settings==>Services and Settings==>Storage” look like.

Do you have backups that you can use in a restore?

If so, then you can always reinstall Roon and restore a backup to see if that makes a difference.

Still, don’t do anything so drastic until @support has a say.

I have backups. I would have to uninstall/reinstall i guess and then restore?

would love to avoid reinstall if i can. Thanks!

That is a mobile processor are you using a Laptop? If so, I would try and download and re-install the graphics drivers from the laptop manufacturer. Windows has a bad habit of updating incorrect or outdated video drivers.

It is a desktop PC. I’ll try graphic drivers update and report tomorrow. Thanks.

It looks like i had the latest graphic card driver. Nevertheless, I did a fresh install of the same driver but it didn’t change anything. i still can’t get the past splash screen.

Hello @ALLEN_FINCI, thanks for checking the graphics drivers. Have you rebooted this machine recently?

yes, multiple times

Please suggest what else i could do.
Thanks,
allen

You can try the 32 bit version off roonlabs.com. That sometimes works where the 64 bit version won’t.

Hello @ALLEN_FINCI, ged has a great suggestion here. If that doesn’t get things working, could you try temporarily disabling your firewall/antivirus and try to open Roon again?

reinstall resolved it. thanks everyone!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.