Roon won't import thousands of m4a files (from HD Tracks, etc.)

Hi - just switched from Audirvana/Mac Mini / Prism Orpheus, a setup where all files worked fine. Now using Roon / Innuos Zen / Vinnie Rossi LIO. Have latest version of Roon. Library ~45,000 files… when importing, several thousand went to “skipped files” folders and tagged "audio stream format not supported… almost all have an .m4a suffix, although a handful have an .aiff or .dff suffix. They’re from various sources, mostly either direct downloads from HD Tracks (or other hi-res sources) in FLAC; or DSD, DSD64, DFF, etc., extracted from SACD files. BTW, I’m not a digital native - old fart audiophile - could use some help. Thanks. Ken

Hey Ken – any chance you could upload a “skipped” file or two to Dropbox for us, and PM me a link?

I’d like to make sure the media works for us before we start looking at environmental variables.

Mike - thanks for the quick response. I haven’t used Dropbox in years, but I believe I have an account - let me check. To send the actual file (not just the path), I’ll need to reconnect the old hard drive, I think… might be a day or two before I can do that. How do I private-message you? Is that what I’m doing here? (Or am I posting? Sorry for newbie ignorance.). Ken

Hi Ken,

You’re posting in the forum. To private message Mike, click on his green jellyfish avatar and select Message.

Cheers, Greg

Hello @Ken_Askew,

Thanks for getting those files over to us. I have asked QA to take a look and will be sure to let you know once I hear back.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Ken_Askew,

QA has taken a look at those files and there appears to be something strange regarding the sample rate and file parameters. They have also noted that a few of these files are not playable in iTunes as well so this issue is likely due to the files themselves.

Thanks,
Noris