Roon won't load in Windows 10 - again

I installed the Core on a Windows 10 Home laptop, and the control version on an older Windows 10 Pro laptop. The Core has always been fine, even through the upgrade to 1.8, but the control laptop has repeatedly refused to load. Usually, removing the programme and then re-installing it works, but not this time. For the last few days, it has just refused to load. The shortcuts do nothing, and only if I go into the start menu do I get a pop-up screen: white, with a red cross through it, which then closes.

The Android app works - sometimes.

I’m at the end of a trial, and I’m afraid, much as I like many aspects of Roon, I won’t be paying to continue. Pity. If it’s going to cost me £10 a month, it needs to work, and without hassle.

Sounds to me like an issue with your graphics driver. Try to update it to the latest version - don’t use Windows Update, go to the GPU manufacturers homepage instead.

1 Like

Hi @Martin_Thomas1

Can you give some details about this Windows machine that isn’t working?

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers?

Interesting, see if Roon is already loaded in memory
Ctrl+Shift+Esc will open Task Manager, click more details and look for Roon

If it is already loaded, the new instance will not open.

Hello, thanks for the advice.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, running Windows Pro. There have been 3 Windows automatic updates in the last few days, which may have had something to do with the problem. After the last update, things seem to be back to normal. It’s odd that the newer HP laptop with the Core on it, and running lowly Windows Home, didn’t seem to be affected.

This hasn’t been the first time I’ve had problems with the control app on the computer. I’m afraid as far as computers go, I just put it into gear and drive. I’ve no idea how to update graphic drivers, and to be frank, nor do I want to. If I can’t run Roon satisfactorily without that kind of knowledge, then obviously it’s not for me.

The trial has lapsed. I may give it another go sometime in the future when I’m feeling lucky and in a better mood !

Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.