Roon won't pick up new music

Roon Core Machine

Synology DS920+ DSM 7.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

pfSense 2.60.0 / Ubiquiti Unifi switch USW-16 PoE

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I recently moved my Roon Core from a dedicated Windows machine which was pulling my music collection from an OMV NAS to a more self-contained solution - a Synology DS920+ running the Core where also the music library resides.

It works well -it’s snappier and search function works a lot faster too. (I have set the Roon database to live on an NVMe SSD as advised.)

My problem is that I don’t see the system indexing new music when I add folders to the library unless I force a manual re-scan.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Your library seems to exceed inotify’s max_user_watches (defaults to 8192 AFAIK). Try to figure out how to check that value on your NAS and increase it to some sensible count if needed (permanently). Sorry that I can’t give you more specific instructions, but I don’t have a Synology NAS. Use an internet search service of your choice and/or use Synology’s support options to find out more.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.

I’ve never heard of this before. Do you know if I have to ssh to the NAS to make it a persistent value?

Why I didn’t have this problem with my Windows Core?

I’m pretty sure that Windows doesn’t use the Linux/UNIX inotify mechanism to implement realtime file/folder watching.

PS: I’m just another Roon user.

1 Like

Another Roon user, but this may help…

1 Like

@crieke Chris, could you kindly let me know how I’m going to set that inotify setting to a higher value?

Just to update this, the only way I’ve found to mitigate the problem is to restart the Roon Core service which obviously is not ideal…

This does no longer work for you?

1 Like

It does I guess but doesn’t this mean that it will have to go through scanning the whole library if I initiate a re-scan?

I think it’s faster and more reasonable to restart the core.

I think they do the same thing regarding library scan but restarting the Roon Server process involves additional tasks - but you can time it if you want to know for sure which way is quicker.

1 Like

If it will just scan the new music I don’t have any reason to restart the core obviously.
Thank you very much. I’ll look into this and force a re-scan when needed.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.