Roon won't play files and underlying Sound system crashes

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOs X 10.15.7
MacMini late 2012, 2.56 ghz dual core Intel i5. 16gb RAM.
Roon version 1.7 build 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All audio files on Synology NAS DS214se drive, connected via ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Wadia 151PowerDAC connected via USB

Description Of Issue

When attempting to play an album or track in Roon, the player cycles through each track, slowly, and never starts playing. Each time this happens, it will have turned out that the underlying sound system in OS x has crashed and is unavailable (system hangs on trying to open Sound preferences), or, if Sound preferences does eventually open, no output device appears. The only solution to this situation is a reboot.

One further observation is that it seems that the Roon application is a cause of this problem. Without Roon running, the sound system and output devices stay up and running for days/weeks on end, and all other audio applications (e.g. VLC) function normally. Once the Roon client is launched (on the Core machine) it is only a matter of time before the above behavior occurs, usually within a day or two. Before that happens, Roon seems to function normally.

And, here is a link to my logs:

Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Steve_Wolford,

Thanks for reaching out and including the logs, this is very helpful!

In logs, I’m noticing Roon is performing a lot of background activity regarding importing and analysis and this can take up a lot of processing power.

Can you please try to disable background and on-demand audio analysis, let all of your imports finish and verify if the issue is still the same after?

Done. (Note that background analysis was already in the ‘off’ position.). I will report back after observing things.

Thx

Steve

1 Like

After a few days of working normally, both problems have recurred – the player cycles, and the underlying sound system has crashed (no output devices available.). Attached are the logs.

Thanks!

Hi @Steve_Wolford,

I tried to access these logs, but unfortunately they appear to be deleted from your end.

If storage space is an issue, I have also just sent you a link to our diagnostics servers via private message where you can upload the logs, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.