Roon won't play Tidal music - just sits there

Try Roon - Setup - Audio and verify your device is still showing up there and says it is enabled.

@RBO - I tried to play Tidal using Roon, bypassing my Mytek and going direct to the computers speakers, and had the same issue - it plays for 30-45 seconds, and then either stops playing or jumps to the new song. Thanks for the suggestion. I had such high hopes (even if it would render my Mytek equipment useless.)

@Jim_F thanks. Tried that - I had it on System Output, instead of Brooklyn DAC. Problem still happens. Again, I was so hopeful for such an easy fix. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

@Donald_Laackman thanks so much for checking @Jim_F’s suggestion! It’s helpful to know that the issue occurs with System Output, as well.

You stated that the Core device is hardwired to the Google Home device - I wonder if, as a test, you could try connecting your Core device directly to the Xfinity router?

I understand that this issue has occurred on two separate networks, but we would like to rule out all possibilities.

As an additional step - what happens if you lower the streaming quality of the TIDAL tracks? You’ll want to change this by going to Roon Settings → Services → TIDAL → Streaming Quality → Lower the streaming quality and try playing a track. Does the same error pop up?

Thank you!

A couple months ago, my Roon system stopped working. I moved my Nucleus and plugged it directly into my router and that fixed the problem. I had a switch that had gone bad.

1 Like

@Ashley @Jim_F I connected by Roon core directly to my Router, and the same thing happened. I also slowed the streaming speed to “Normal”, and it did not work. Open to other ideas.

Did you reboot everything including your router?

I’ve now rebooted everything. Same problem.

A post was split to a new topic: TIDAL only plays when lowering streaming quality

@Donald_Laackman I cannot even begin to apologize for the delay in my reply - I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you. I truly appreciate you trying those steps and especially your patience during this time.

We’ll want to take a closer look at this for you. The next time that this happens, could you please grab a set of logs, zip them up and upload them to our drive?

Please, include a timestamp in your post (local date and time when the Tidal Media Loading Slowly message appears).

Thanks so much!

Error occurred January 6, 2022, 15:12 PM EST. Donald_Laackman.zip has been uploaded to your drive.

1 Like

Thanks so much! We’ll take a look at the logs and we’ll be in touch regarding next steps!

Hey @Donald_Laackman thanks for your patience, we were able to take a look at the logs you sent over. We’re seeing a lot of buffering errors within the logs, pointing to issues with the DNS.

You stated that you have a Google Mesh network - are you able to change the DNS within the Google Mesh setup or your Core device?

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to change this in the router itself, due to the Xfinity permissions not allowing consumers to change this (I see you mentioned this above, as well). We’re hoping you’re able to give that a try to see if it improves the situation.

:pray:t3:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Cannot play Tidal music through Roon

Problem solved?

Steps taken, with outcomes:

1. On my MacBook Pro, hardwired to a node on my Google mesh network, I changed the DNS to Google - first 8.8.8.8, then 8.8.4.4. Problem got worse.
  2. Installed Warp software, and changed DNS to 1.1.1.1 - Roon plays without interruption!
  3. Read bad reviews of Warp, so changed DNS to Quad9.net 9.9.9.9 - Roon still plays without interruption.
  4. Decided to go back to default settings, INCLUDING “Use iCloud Private Relay”, which I have come to really value for privacy concerns. ROON STILL WORKS. I tested three different devices with this setup, including a Brooklyn DAC+, and Brooklyn Bridge, and Roon was working without issue.

No idea what happened - maybe in re-setting the DNS I shook something loose that was causing the buffering errors? In any event, thanks to everyone for all of the ideas, especially @Ashley who prompted the last round of intensive DNS efforts. I consider this closed for now.

3 Likes

Woohoo! :partying_face: Thanks for the update, @Donald_Laackman! I appreciate you giving that a try and for sharing the steps you took to get there. :pray:t3:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.