Roon Won't Play To Raspberry Pi Endpoint

A quick update… For the last week I’ve been using a MacBook Pro with Roon installed as an endpoint while waiting for the good people at Allo to send out a new DigiOne board. Everything was playing just fine, and then tonight the same issue popped up AGAIN. So although I’m using an entirely different endpoint with different software, the results are the same.

This indicates that the DigiOne/RoPieee and MacBook Pro might not be the issue after all. The only other components involved here are the Mac Mini server and the external hard drive. Is it possible that my problem stems from one of those places? Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I should take? This is pretty frustrating.

Edit: I don’t think it could be my hard drive because I can’t play anything from the Live Radio page, which would just be streaming from the Web. There must be something happening with my server computer. I can’t think of any other explanation.

Hi @Joseph_Squires,

Have you tried starting with a fresh database on your Macbook yet? I would give this a try to see if it changes anything:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” or “RoonServer” depending on install type
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old” / “RoonServer” to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the same issue occurs
1 Like

I’d forget DigiOne/RoPieee for a moment. Can you play from your Mac Mini server to your MacBook Pro’s headphone output?

1 Like

Thanks. I haven’t used the DigiOne in over a week, figuring it was a hardware issue with that device.

I just tried playing through the MBP internal speakers and it worked fine. If I try to use the USB output, it keeps stalling. I know the USB output is working fine though because I have no issues with Spotify.

Thanks so much. I’ll try making a backup tonight when I get home. Just to double check, I make the backup from the Mac Mini that I use as the Core, correct?

Hi @Joseph_Squires,

The backup is always for the Core, regardless of which client you start it on. Please be sure to use Roon’s backup manager to perform the backup (and not Time Machine or anything similar).

I tried reinstalling Roon with a fresh database last night, and the good news is that the MBP is back up and running. Hopefully this isn’t something I have to do too often. Do you have any ideas on what might have caused the issue I ran into?

Unfortunately the Allo DigiOne Signature does seem to be fried, but the people there have been very helpful and will be sending me a replacement board once it’s ready.

Everyone here has been very helpful and it’s much appreciated. I hope to offer assistance to others soon as well.

Hi @Joseph_Squires,

Glad to hear that since reinstalling Roon on the MBP the system is operational again!

It’s hard to say what exactly triggered this behavior, it might have been a firewall of Antivirus blocking RAATServer from operating properly if I had to base it just on the symptoms.

That is unfortunate… do let me know if the replacement is working as expected, otherwise we can take another look once you confirm if there are still issues. Thanks!

Noris, your support has been excellent and it’s much appreciated. My replacement DigiOne board should be here this week. In the meantime I’ve installed a Metrum Ambre which has worked great over the last few days.

I’ll update here if I run into any further issues along the way. Thanks again.

1 Like

@Joseph_Squires, could you make it works finally with the replacement DigiOne board ?
I am facing a similar issue with the DigiOne Signature… since I’ve updated the ropieeexl on a RPI 3b, it doesn’t play anymore ! I can see it in the devices, and when I press Play it shows me the signal path but it remains on pause for a few seconds then it disappears (like if I pressed the stop).

If you finally had a fix, thanks for sharing it with me.

Eric, I wish I had a better answer for you but I ended up replacing the DigiOne Signature with a Metrum Ambre streamer which has worked perfectly since day one. I can’t say for sure that my issue was with the hardware though, because I had all kinds of problems there for a few weeks.

The support here was very good, so I’m confident that you will get your issue resolved. Best of luck.

1 Like

Thank you Joseph for your feedback, really appreciated.

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.