ROON won't play to SONOS speakers after installing ASUS RT-AX82U

Roon Core Machine

Installing aN ASUS RT-AX82U router recently went smoothly. It played on beautifully on the core machine (DELL Precision Tower 3620; 16 m ram; Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz processor; Windows 10 w/some 11 updates). The on my SONY monitor was clear with improved color; all my Apple devices logged in with no trouble.

However, remote speakers in the kitchen, living Room and exercise room were all silent. All of these speakers were purchased fairly recently are SONOSSL1s, with a single Beam in one room.

So the speakers away from the core machine worked fine prior to the upgrade BUT not afterwards. I am working with ASUS support, also, but so far they have been unable to come up with a fix. I wondered if this might be an issue other ROON users have had.

Thanks in advance for whatever you can do,
Gary

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hey @Gary_Welborn,

We appreciate you getting in touch about this — we’d really love to help get you to listen music via your SONOS speakers with Roon.

Could you please let us know if the Sonos speakers show up in Settings → Audio in Roon? Also, when you attempt playback, are there any error messages showing up?

Hi Beka,
All of the speakers in question are listed on the Audio Settings page; all are listed as enabled via AirPlay. However, all but the Living Room Beam are listed on the selection button. Nevertheless, when a speaker selection is made, it looks as though it will start normally, but then it just sits and does nothing. It only plays through the computer that the Roon core is on. I don’t recall seeing seen any error messages. Thanks so much for your help.
Gary

Hey @Gary_Welborn,

Thanks so much for your quick reply :pray:

We appreciate the confirmation that all devices are “seen” by Roon and enabled in Settings → Audio. When you say that just the Living Room Beam are listed on the selection button, are you referring to the zone picker (on the footer)?

So, you select a device, start to play music, but no music comes out of the speakers.

You mention that music plays to your Roon Core (the Dell) — is this to System Output?

Could you please reboot your Core, audio devices and router. Please, turn them back on starting with the router? Is there any change?

Hi Beka,
I think I have identified SONOS as the culprit. It looks like I have to rebuild it; but there is plenty of support materials. However, I wonder if you have any guides for how to set SONOS up in the most compatible way for ROON. If possible, please send them along.
Thanks so much for the help,
Gary

Hey @Gary_Welborn,

I’m so glad that you can invest some time in setting up the Sonos devices for the best experience possible.

Our Sonos setup guide probably doesn’t contain anything that you don’t already know (you can find it here), but what it might be worth a read is this article:

Please, let us know how it goes :nerd_face:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.