Roon won't recognize my hard drive Elac Discovery usb plugged directly to device

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Core-Elac Discovery DS-S101-G
Roon 1.5 (build 49)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

Roon won’t recognize my hard drive Elac Discovery usb plugged directly to device

Hi @Michael_Saylor,

Can you please fill out the rest of the template or let me know the additional info when possible?
Info such as the following will be useful to better assist you:

• What is your Roon Core?

• Is the Core up to date on the newest firmware?

• How have you navigated to the drive, have you added it in Roon Settings -> Storage -> Add Folder and then have selected the drive from the side-bar?

• Does the drive work when connected to a regular PC?

• What is the hard drive formatted as (FAT32/NTFS/exFAT/ect.)?

– Noris

Roon Core-Elac Discovery DS-S101-G
Roon 1.5 (build 49)
No Side bar to add drive, just Network Share
Yes
NTFS
Sorry, Thanks

Hi @Michael_Saylor,

Can you please post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Storage -> Add Folder Tab?
You can upload screenshots to this site by using these instructions.

Has an external HDD ever worked with your Elac Core or is this the first time you are trying to have this kind of configuration?

– Noris

Uploading: 20190618_123443.jpg… yes, it had worked fine until 2 days ago. I plug and unplug a lot to transfer vinyl. One time it said it could see my library but couldn’t access because it wasn’t in same place. Now it doesn’t show anything except in history it will show maybe the last 15 songs I played. I can go to backup and see the name of hard drive and path but nothing shows up on watching screen.
Thanks for your time,
Michael Saylor

Hi @Michael_Saylor,

Thanks for sending that screenshot + additional info over. Have you tried rebooting the Elac Core yet? I would do this as the next step to see if it helps. Also, do other external HDDs or thumb drives exhibit this behavior, or just this one?

If the reboot does not help, can I ask you to:

1. Unplug the USB drive
  2. Re-plug the drive back in
  3. Note the exact local time + date when you unplugged it to the Core (e.g. 5:41PM on 6/18/19)
  4. Let me know this timestamp

Once I have the timestamp I can then enable diagnostics mode for your Elac Core and see if perhaps there are any errors when plugging it in.

– Noris

I have rebooted several times to no avail. I actually have 2 hard drives dedicated to music, one I use as a master if you will. I tried my second hd, same thing. Then I borrowed my wife’s hard drive and it read it immediately. I got to thinking, maybe the hard drive needs repair? My computer always read both hds, but I thought maybe Defrag wouldn’t hurt. Sure enough defragged, now it reads it again. It’s now building my library back. I’ll let you know if anything else troubles me, but I’m happy again right now.

1 Like

Make sure you have backups of your music

Hi @Michael_Saylor,

Thanks for the update here and for letting me know that the drive defrag helped resolve the issue with them showing up! If there are any further issues do let us know.

– Noris

Hi Noris,
Thanks for responding and helping.
Michael Saylor

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.