Roon is slow on Celeron NAS

Exactly 7 days after having done everything mentioned above in this post Roon has slowed down again. I have been able to enjoy only 7 days at a correct speed, fast and without problems.
It is clear that the problem is of Roon, not of my team, since everything is like yesterday and like Thursday of last week.
I have tested the SSD and it is perfect. I have checked the performance of the CPU and the RAM of the NAS and they are perfect.
Where is the problem?
Because suddenly Roon is slow?

Hi @J.A,

I’ve unlisted this thread and removed some posts. Generally speaking, much of what is said here is correct — Your Core machine doesn’t meet our recommendations and, when using a different Core machine that did meet our recommendations, things worked fine. We can’t make any promises that a machine that does not meet our recommendations will work properly, and we always recommend using a properly specced Core.

With that in mind, we’d like to understand more about what you’re experiencing. You mention that things start out working normally and then proceed to slow down from there. We can take a look and see if anything jumps out here.

Moving forward, I’m hoping that we can get a bit more information about what kind of slowness you’re experiencing:

• Where are you experiencing this slowness? You mention above it can take a minute to open an album. Are you experiencing this slowness in other places? Is Roon also slow to start playback?
  • Does this slowness occur on all remote devices?
  • You mention above that slowness seems to correspond with when you’ve added new albums. Can you reproduce this slowness in other occasions, or is it only during these imports?

Hi, dylan

Thanks for your interest.
What I’ve noticed is that if I add albums while Roon is playing music (or not playing it), access in general is slowed down.
Today I modified an album because it was from the same singer but two singers appeared on the list.
In doing so, the speed has slowed and access was slow, having to wait about 20 seconds since I selected an artist until all the info and their albums appear.

A while ago I used it with the app on my iPhone and with the Oppo, and the speed of access has been fast and without slowness at any time.
Knowing this, I am very careful and I only add albums to the SSD when the Roon app is not active, neither in the smartphone, the tablet, my Mac computer or my PC.

Right now I am using it and it is working correctly.

Hi @J.A,

Since this seems to be specific to the import and update of files, unfortunately there isn’t likely much that can be done. Importing music in Roon can definitely be one of the more resource intensive tasks, so slowness on a machine that doesn’t meet our requirements during these times isn’t something that would be unexpected.

One thing I’d suggest, which may help alleviate these symptoms, is to turn off Background Audio Analysis in Settings | Library. By default, part of the import process involves analyzing the files. By disabling this, analysis will be performed on demand (i.e. at first playback) instead. I can’t guarantee that this will make things as speedy as you’d like, but it will at least help there be less that the Core machine is doing during the import process.

We always recommend using a machine that meets our requirements whenever possible, and based on your prior test, we know that you don’t experience these issues when doing so. You’re free to continue using the NAS as your Core, but unfortunately we can’t guarantee speedy performance during the import process here.

We appreciate you reaching out here. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
The option that indicates I have always been disabled.

I am thinking about the option of acquiring a Mac Mini i5 to devote exclusively to music with Roon.
Anyway, my QNAP is currently working correctly.
A greeting.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.