Roon1.8; two topics that say it all

by chance, these two topics appeared consecutively… one has 990 posts. the other has 47 posts. Draw your own conclusions!

10 Likes

Ya, now look inside those threads and it’ll tell a far more balanced story…

2 Likes

And those frustrated have a problem!
Because certainly not Roon or the multitudes of satisfied ones :grinning:

This is how it is in life …

3 Likes

Look at the substance (or lack thereof) in that glorifying thread and things are becoming even more apparent :sunglasses:

1 Like

My conclusion is that there are always a lot more people who are willing / active when there is something to complain about, than those who are happy and don’t post about it. This is not just about Roon 1.8, but about all topics on all forums and review sites.

This is especially true in the current pandemic / lockdown as so many people have so much extra time on their hands due to being locked down and therefore unable to fill their time in other ways.

Because of all the hoo-ha about 1.8 I held off upgrading, but finally did it last night and I am quite happy with it. But my needs are simple, I want it to find and play my music, which is does. The upgrade process for me was simple, quick, and faultless on my ROCK and all remotes (Windows, Android and IOS) and all endpoints work as I would wish. The UI is different, but not horrid for me and I will simply just get on with it. A lot of there more exotic stuff that others are unhappy with, I don’t use, so it is “horses for courses”, and luckily it is fine for me.

But up till now I did not post about it. To some extent it seems if one is happy with 1.8, best not post about it for fear of being lambasted by the haters.

16 Likes

Self-selection bias.

All the complainers should stay on the failure thread, and the complimenters should stay on the success thread. Who needs balance? @evand

1 Like

I am on the side of the success thread, post count means nothing, used to see that all the time on the Audiogon forums. Its the actual meaningfull content that matters.
Members turn out in droves to be haters, way of todays society more than a reflection of Roon 1.8

2 Likes

I haven’t used it enough to weigh in on the 1.8 update either way. Letting the dust settle a bit.

“I want to find and play my music” is a pretty low bar for a $120/year or $699/lifetime piece of software. Plenty of free options that do just that…

7 Likes

I vaguely recall a study which showed that dissatisfied customers were six times more likely to complain.

1 Like

And losing endpoints periodically that requires Roon server relaunch is “baseline no fun”, complaining or not…

3 Likes

Exceptionally frustrating to have core/ipad failures, reboots, etc. Really inexcusable at this point in Roon’s development. Doesn’t bode well for the future of the platform.

2 Likes

So the ratio in my original post was nearer to 20 to 1. Even allowing for bias, this is a significant difference.

My view is that new look is a bit of a ‘curate’s egg’. I guess their use of empty space is an attempt to give it a ‘classy, magazine-like’ feel. I don’t mind that, but unfortunately the look fails in other ways; their use of headers like ‘Hi, Melvyn’, ‘My Albums’ and ‘My Artists’ just feels childish and undermines the grown-up style they are trying to create. Also, is see too many instances where the page is filled up plain circles containing just the initials of the person being referenced… just looks clunky!

3 Likes

Well thats perfectly natural. Why would a person that is satisfied complain? You dont need a study to figure that one out :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Maybe satisfied users prefer spending time using it and listening to music rather than express their feelings on forums :wink:

8 Likes

Very nicely said ChristianK

3 Likes

Thats what you are just doing :wink:

1 Like

Actually there are not “Plenty of free options that do just that”. I tried quite a few, but they did not do everything I want. I had Asset UPnP whist was OK as far as it went, but I also wanted streaming integration with my own library of local music, the ability to play to a host of different end points, the wonderous ability to discover new music and artists that Roon uniquely provides, the ability to stream different content to separate end points from the same streaming service, I love the technology of assembling a ROCK on a NUC and having various RoPieee endpoints with different HATS for different playing requirements, and the list goes on.

[moderated]

7 Likes

That is probably low. More like 20 to 1 if I were guessing.

1 Like