roonAppliance hangs every few hours for 30-60 mins - roon not useable

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Specs of my server:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHZ
Mainboard Gigabyte P35-DS3P
DDR2 RAM 4,00 GB
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Roon Server 1.7 Build 528 64bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Router WNDR4500
Netgear WNDR3800 as Access Point
Synology NAS with music files - 1 GBit Ethernet
Windows 10 Server with roon server - 1 GBit Ethernet
iMac with Roon as Client - 1GBit Ethernet
Macbook Pro with Roon as Client - 1 GBit Ethernet / WiFi
iPhone, iPad as Roon Remote - WiFi
2 Raspberry Pi as Roon Bridge - 1GBit Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iMac with Roon as Client - HDMI to Yamaha Receiver
Macbook Pro with Roon as Client - direct output
Raspberry Pi as Roon Bridge - Analog Out
Raspberry Pi as Roon Bridge - USB to DAC

Description Of Issue

After booting my Windows 10 Server (after a Windows update for example) it takes the roon server a few minutes to rescan the files of my library. During this time, I have no chance of accessing the server with any client, only the pulsating roon icon appears. After this time roon works as it should. I can access the server with any remote, can play local files and Tidal music files on every endpoint without a problem.
But - and now comes my problem - after about a day or so the service roonAppliance starts doing something. CPU usage is at about 25-40% (more cpu, ram, etc infos see screenshots). When it is doing this, roon is nearly not useable! Searching locally or in Tidal takes 2 minutes until something appears on screen. Playback is impossible. This state lasts from 30-60 minutes and appears every few hours. When its done, roon is useable again. After 2-3 days roonAppliance does not recovery anymore after 30-60 minutes and stays in that state. The only thing, I can do then, is to reboot my server completely.
I know, that 4GB of RAM are not enough for the number of files I have, but I do not understand why it is working for hours and then it is suddenly doing something for 30-60 minutes and everything hangs.
I have set rescan of all my storage locations to ‚only at startup’ and I have no database backup configured. So I do not know what tasks roon should do every few hours, while I do not even use it.
Could you please start logging my server to see what the problem could be?

KR Peter

If you have a large library that cpu is underspecced as well even compared to a gen 8 i3 NUC.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9400-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8109U/m244vsm609620

So you’re asking for trouble. Not enough memory leads to the system swapping out memory to HD/SSD and things start to become really slow.

So your music files are not on a local file system. Your rescan setting might just get ignored. See also:

Especially:

Because we need to detect whether the storage device is still on and available, we do check on a regular basis that the NAS is still on and available

Thank you for your feedback. As I said, I know that RAM and CPU are not up to date, but what I do not understand is, why it works without problems for hours and then suddenly has massive problems! I also forgot to say that it worked with no problems under Windows 7 with the same amount of files. Since Windows 10 I experience these problems. Thats why I‘d like @support to start logging on my server.
Because just checking if the NAS is still online cant take 30-60 minutes, can it?

KR Peter

Hi @Peter_Seemann,

What is the current size of your Roon collection? How many tracks/albums do you have listed under the Overview tab? Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily disable your NAS storage under Roon Settings -> Storage?

Hi @noris!
I have 18.300 albums / 250.000 tracks at the moment.
Is this too much for my server setup?
I could try disabling the NAS storage.

KR Peter

I’d say so. Try disabling the local storage and just stream and see what happens. 4 clients and a underspecced processor and memory. Hmmm

I would try temporarily disabling the NAS storage @Peter_Seemann. See if that helps Roon work better, if it does, we have located the source of the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.