RoonBridge disapears when running on Wifi

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Core 1.70 (build 710), running inside a Docker container (4 network interfaces, macVlan)
Roon Bridge 1.7 (build 571)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

• Juniper Switch, in total 4 Roon clients
  • Mikrotik Router (latest stable release)
  • APs are TP-Link EAP245 v1, v3), running VLANS for subnet separation)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

• 3 Raspberry PI (always on)
    • 2 wired - no issues
    • 1 wireless - issues
  • 1 Chord Electronic Poly with Mojo, wireless (not used long term)

Description Of Issue

After a day or so the RoonBridge running on a Raspberry PI4 (running DietPi v6.34.3) is no longer visible in the Roon Service (no longer visible in list of audio devices). All wired Raspberry PI’s are rock solid (running same version of DietPi and RoonBridge).

Restarting the RoonBridge service using a systemctl doesn’t help. I have to reboot the Raspberry PI to solve the problem.

While the RoonBridge is offline, I have no issues to connect to the RaspberryPi through SSH, no dropped packages are visible in the Linux stack, no error messages in the RoonBridge logs are visible.

All Raspberry PI’s are running a HAT from Hifiberry. The unit that is causing issues is connected to a Hifiberry AMP2 module.

Many thanks in advance @support!

Hi @SMANGELS,

If you try to temporarily connect the Wireless Pi via Ethernet, does the issue go away?

Are all your Roon devices on the same VLAN/subnet?
Roon will not work properly across VLANs.

Hi @noris,
thanks for the fast reply. I have configured the Docker container so that it has 3 different network interfaces (virtual) each in every subnet. Thus I have the Roon clients in one subnet and our mobiles controlling the streams in another subnet. So that is working very well.

The issue disappears when connecting to Ethernet. It probably has something to do with roaming between different base stations frequently. Could it be that the Roon client doesn’t like to loose the connection several times in a row due to roaming between AP’s?

I will give it a try and lock the BSSID of that particular Roon client so that it won’t roam between 2 AP’s. Below is the example configuration that I’ve found here.

network={
    bssid=00:50:17:31:1a:11
    ssid="YourSSID"
    scan_ssid=1
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    psk="your-secret-key"
}
1 Like

Hi @SMANGELS,

Yes, if the issue doesn’t occur on Ethernet it is possible that the zone is roaming between your two APs.
I would try to lock it to the BSSID as you suggest, let us know if that resolved the issue!

1 Like

Hi @noris,
I had the same idea and indeed this helped to solve the problem. I wonder whether that could be integrated into the log engine so that there is a clear message on either the server or the client (RoonBridge in Linux) that helps debugging those special cases. I was not able to find such a message neither in the servers nor the clients log files.

Many thanks for the support!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.