"Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

You do realise the aspersions that this statement is casting on your own QA??

If for example, you are changing the Processor and RAM modules “every week”, then do you repeat the Roon related tests to make sure that last week’s system performs the same as this week’s system??..not very good QA in my opinion

Your failure to publish more specific specs here or on your website…and failure to answer even the simplest of questions about Processor Speed or Intel Generation…or Connection type used on SSD…or type of RAM Modules used…just screams Red Light at me

Buyer beware until these simplest of questions are answered IMHO

a) we do a 50/50 mix of Red book flac and hi-rez. The hi rez is part DSD we have 24/192 and 24/96 and other hi rez rates and DSD SDS256 etc. We try and ahve a good mix of different stuff. There is also some ALAC and WAV files in there.

b) yes

c) I usually test with only 3 end points. Most of my customs are only using 1 -2

d) the sonicTransporter does not work with a USB DAC. Actually it does but we don’t recommend using it that way because the audio quality would not be that good. We do all testing with our microRendu and Sonicorbiter SE enpoints.

Actually very few users are having problem with the sonicTransporter. And most of them had larger collections then the specs. I just swapped them out for a more powerful units and their are not haveing any more problems.

I can honestly say the four products I have bought from Andrew and Small Green Computer have been the highest quality and best audio products I could have imagined. I was having regular audio dropouts on my mac mini and I switched to Andrews sonictransporter. I have mostly dsd files and it has played them flawlessly from day one. The customer support I get from Andrew as well is unmatched. Please feel free to pm me anytime as I highly recommend his products.

2 Likes

I agree. I’ve done business with Andrew for many years (Vortexbox servers, etc.), including standard and custom products. Andrew has always been very helpful and in the one case where I had a problem with one unit (which was “custom” by the way, so more potential issues), he provided excellent customer service. Are there things he sells that one could instead buy all the parts cheaper and assemble themselves? Yes. But what is my time worth and what expertise do I have versus Andrew. I find the markup to be very fair.**

1 Like

Great to see happy customers and agree that assembling a music server is not for everybody. Still I would insist on specs before buying a black box. I mean, this is not Rolls Royce claiming power is sufficient…

By the way, we haven’t even mentioned the software that he includes with his systems. This, in my opinion, is what makes the value proposition well worth the cost. It is very intuitive and gives the user excellent control over their system with his GUI.

1 Like

Realize I can only speak for me, but I’m not questioning your credibility at all. My Vortexbox experience was great, and that includes the email help I got directly from you when I got over my skis in Linux after a drive upgrade. Recommended the VB as a great solution to multiple friends in the era of Squeezebox. But there is value, at least for my noggin, in knowing exactly which processor and SSD (M.2 or SATA? Samsung or OCZ?), this week’s sonicTransporter uses. Maybe that’s just how my value equation works. Different folks, different strokes.

Yep. Absolutely. Andrew is building me a custom server as we speak. Spec included. His product is very custom. That’s what I like about it. You can choose to buy his off the shelf very good products or have him build for you. Not to many guys are willing to do both.

1 Like

True fact, Fritz. Ordered the i7 sonicTransporter yesterday. Can’t wait to get it and set it up.

1 Like

You won’t be disappointed. Roon works terrific with the i7. Lightening quick when it is on a dedicated server. Only way to go.

1 Like

Small Green Computer is not really a generic box retailer. If you want that, it’s not really the right company for you.

@agillis and his team are very hands on with the customer, the sale, and the post-sales support. It’s the type of experience you only get with great turn-key luxury products. In this case, it is a piece of infrastructure, so there is no better experience than to install and forget about it.

SGC is not selling snake oil or trying to deceive anyone… the end goal is a great experience – and it’s clear he can deliver that end to end. It might not be for you, but there are many out there that put a premium value on this experience.

For what it’s worth, he has my endorsement :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah, what he said!

Thanks @danny :slight_smile:

If I bought the “no internal drive” option, could I later add a drive without voiding the warranty?

Yes, you can add a USB attach drive.

OK, but not an internal drive then?

No we don’t support customers opening and modifying their sonicTransporters.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Transfering Roon Core from a Windows PC to SonicTransporter?

@agillis

I have my MicroRendu on HW upgrade to 1.4.
So I thaught I could connect my DCC direct to the SonicTransporter, but it does not work.
What is the requirements in order to have this work ?
Or is it not intended to work ?
Should it work with HQPlayer ?

I have checked for local playback, which I expect is the key to use the local USB port.

I’m not sure I understand your question but you can contact me directly for support.