Rooninstaller64 1.7 Build 505 Fails on Windows 10 with Mandatory ASLR On [Ticket In]

@support
Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1909 / Lenovo M93P / Roon 1.7 Build 505

The Roon installer on the lastest version (and on 1.6 as well) fails when the Windows 10 Exploit Protection setting Mandatory ASLR is set to On. It fails before even the installer splash screen can be displayed, with an Application Error popup showing the message “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)”. The problem is reproducible.

That setting is found at Windows Settings → Update & Security → Windows Security → App & Browser Control → Exploit Protection settings → Force randomization for images (Mandatory ASLR). The default setting is Off, but if it is changed to On, the Rooninstaller64 will fail as described.

Let’s tag @support to follow this up for you.

Done. Thanks for the quick heads up.

Hello @Peter_Gettinger,

Thank you for the report here. We have had a similar report from another user recently and we are investigating this issue internally, I will be sure to add yours to the investigation ticket as well.

If you need to install Roon on this PC, I suggest temporarily turning off ASLR, installing Roon and then turning it back on. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, turning off that option temporarily works fine as a detour, and that’s what I’ve done. Roon runs fine with the option on after it has been installed.

The failure occurs so early that it suggests that the problem is in the tools used to build the installer package rather than the Roon code itself. They might pull in an installer module that is (really) old or miscompiled and doesn’t understand ASLR.

1 Like

@noris
I appreciate that you already have a ticket open on this problem, but I wanted to add some additional information about the effects of the problem.

While turning off the ASLR option temporarily to get Roon installed is a good detour when doing the first installation, it leaves behind a booby trap for later, when a new Roon build is released and Roon tries to auto-update.

At that point, if the ASLR option has been turned on after the first installation, the auto-update fails with a not particularly descriptive error message AND it fails at a point after it has already silently uninstalled the old version or build of Roon it intends to replace.

That leaves the user with no Roon to run, and not much idea of what just happened, especially if they never encountered this problem in their initial install and just happened to have turned ASLR on after that.

2 Likes

Hi @Peter_Gettinger,

Thank you for the additional information, I have noted this in the investigation ticket we have open regarding this behavior and have informed the QA team.

@noris, @dylan,
Now that you are working on a new, big release, and making changes to the installer anyway, it would be a good time to address this open ticket. (Just a nudge.)

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Gettinger,

Can you please confirm if you are seeing the same behavior even in our latest build of Roon?

There have been a few changes between when you reported this issue and now, it would be good to note if there’s been any change in behavior.

Thanks!

Yes, the problem is still easily reproducible on the latest build. It’s sort of a pain to work around if you encounter it, since two restarts are then required to install Roon - one to turn the ASLR option off, another one to turn it back on. Also, if you’ve let Roon try its automatic update to the new version, then it has already uninstalled your current version of Roon by the time you see the error.

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Gettinger,

Thanks for letting us know the issue is still reproducible, I’ve updated the ticket to let the team know!
I can’t make any promises regarding a timeline, but thanks for your patience while the ticket makes it’s way through the queue.

Thls problem continues to occur with the Roon 1.8 releases, including the latest one at this time, build 806.

Just a nudge to keep the ticket alive and this thread open.

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Gettinger ,

Thanks for the reminder on this. I can’t comment on a timeline of when this will be resolved, but I have let the QA team know that this is still an issue in 1.8, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.