Roon's behavior varies depending on how the music directory is identified

Curious behavior. First the setup. mid-2009 Macbook Pro wired to the network. QNAP NAS is wired to the same network. Music (previously exported from Sooloos) is the directory //Roon/ Artists.

In the Storage setup window there are 2 ways to identify the music directory.

1. Storage -> Add folder -> local folder -> browse and essentially “find like” window appears and you select the correct subdirectory. This eventually points to /Roon/Artists.

2. Storage -> Network -> Network Folder -> smb://192.168.1.76/Roon/Artists.

Problems:

1. Every time you restart the computer the information is lost and has to be entered. A pain. It’s results in snappy performance though.

2. When identifying the network folder the information is retained, despite reboots and the database is always there. However, it’s VERY slow. Also, a pain.

I’d prefer to deal with #1, not #2.

Any thoughts on this behavior? Fixes?

@BLH, If you tick the ‘reconnect at login’ box when you map the drive then it will automatically reconnect after a reboot,

Brian, let us know if @Ratbert’s suggestion helps.

I’d also be interested to know how you’re determining the speed of the various configurations – my understanding is that they should behave similarly under the hood, but maybe something else is going on here.

Let us know!

Hi Mike,

This is via the network method.
Speed is easy, as the lag is so long! As a small example clicking on a song to play. There is such a lag between the click and the song playing I have to be careful not to click again. In album mode scrolling through is slower, as it is in artist. The lag is just very noticeable. This is such stark difference I had to ask.

In folder method, I’ve hit reconnect and it doesn’t work. I’ve always had to “remove” and start over. However, the computer actions are nice a fast.

For the life of me I can’t find that checkbox!

I’ve changed the setup. I’m now using RoonServer on the mid-2009 Macbook Pro and an iPad Air 2. Works pretty well. I had to do a clean install as there were just too many problems the other way. With a clean install the iPad still had to have 4 reboots to find the RoonServer, and connect to the NAS. I used:

Storage -> Network -> Network Folder -> smb://192.168.1.76/Roon/Artists.

It’s not “quick”. There could be wireless lag for that, but it is sufficiently satisfying. This is how Roon was meant to be run. On a touchscreen!

Roon still needs some work under the hood, but it’s coming a long just fine. I will not be making any big equipment outlays as the guys at Roon see to be expecting equipment manufactures to start brining Roon enabled equipment to market soon. Not sure how soon, but my setup now is satisfactory.

As for SQ of Roon vs Sooloos. Sooloos has the edge for the moment on SQ. That is no doubt due to my setup. I expected that as this is only “test setup”. But, I’m convinced no doubt about it. I’m a Roon guy now.

[quote=“BLH, post:6, topic:3444”]
As for SQ of Roon vs Sooloos. Sooloos has the edge for the moment on SQ. That is no doubt due to my setup. I expected that as this is only “test setup”.[/quote]
Is that with the Peachtree T1 24/96 USB to SPDIF vs. your Sooloos C15?
You could try streaming Roon to the audio endpoint in the C15.
In my setup I can stream from Sooloos or Roon to my 861+ID40 as expected the sound quality is the same.

[quote=“BLH, post:6, topic:3444”]But, I’m convinced no doubt about it. I’m a Roon guy now.
[/quote]Roon’s great … Enjoy.

The Pearchtree one convert USB to SPDIF (digital) so can plug it into the Lyndgrof Preamp. The Sooloos is a Control 10 not a C15. There are no USB or streaming options.

The sound quality is good on the ROON, just no the pop and shimmer on cymbals, horns. So the micro dynamics and quite there. Very close though. I’ve been able to stream from the Sooloos yet but I am exploring it.

For just an inexpensive test setup, it’s really darn good!

I evaluate to major things in this process. SQ and interface. MY SQ is good, and the interface is FANTASTIC! The user experience dominates. I can improve the SQ, with out a doubt and will.

[quote=“BLH, post:8, topic:3444”]
The Sooloos is a Control:10 not a C15. There are no USB or streaming options.
[/quote]Hi again, Roon can stream to Meridian endpoints (e.g. C10, C15, MC200, MC600, MS200, MS600, ID40, ID41) via the network. If both Roon and the C10 are on the same LAN Roon should see the C10, it should just need enabling in the Audio Setting in Roon.

That said, the C10 is at the bottom of the Meridian AQ pecking order … you might wish to consider other options going forwards.

Thanks Carl,

I take a look and give it a shot.