RoonServer backups failing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10, Roon 1.7 (571)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet > Switch > NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
N/A

Description Of Issue
Scheduled and manual backups are both failing since mid-June. I’ve tried manual and scheduled backups to local disk and NAS storage where they were previously working and they’re still failing.

I’ve tried shutting down RoonServer and deleting Cache folders, still failing.

Stack trace from latest log:

06/27 12:24:55 Warn: [broker/backups] unexpected error doing backup on FileBrowser.Entry: [Z:] music, Mapped Network Drive : \_roon\RoonBackups: Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Media ---> Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Transport ---> Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Misc ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

at Base.IO.LongPathCommon.GetFileHandle(String normalizedPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
   at Base.IO.LongPathFile.Open(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_1.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__1(String file, Boolean needs_copy)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_1.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__4()
   at Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThread.<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<SendSafe>b__0()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThread.SendSafe(Action handler)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_1.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__3()
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<ComputeBackupFiles>d__12.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupDestination`1.<StartBackup>d__6.MoveNext()

Any advice?

Hello @Laver, thanks for sharing that trace! Are you able to back up to the Windows 10 core locally by forcing a backup now? Also, if you still have that log file, please upload it here. I’d like to have our team take a look. Thanks!

New backup to local disk on Windows 10 also failed. I’ve uploaded the latest log showing that failure.

If it helps; this system was originally setup as a standard “Roon” box performing both Control and Core roles. I subsequently downgraded / installed RoonServer to run the Core, and installed Roon to get the control UI back.

Reason being is RoonServer is MUCH more stable to be left running. With Roon I’d end up fairly regularly (once a week or so) having to restart the OS as somehow Roon had consumed all available memory.

This PC runs mainly headless so I had little use for running the Roon control UI 24/7.

Any advice? I’d like to migrate my Core to a new machine but my backup is 20 days old. Is it possible to copy the Database folder after shutting down the Core? Or are there other folders to migrate?

Looks like it was an issue with extensions being enabled. I disabled the DeepHarmony extension and just finished a successful backup!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @Laver, thanks for the update! My apologies for the delay, we were on holiday here in the US. I’m glad things are working again, though! I’ll pass this solution onto the team so we’re aware.