Roonserver constantly using network and CPU?

I have Roonserver and HQPlayer running on a dedicated PC with no other applications installed. When I go into task manager I see that roonappliance is using about 18% of my CPU and my network traffic (receiving) is constantly being used. This is when not playing any music and browsing my roon library or scanning my music folder. Just curious if this is normal and if so why?

Roon is doing a lot of background work even when music isn’t playing: checking new metadata and artworks for your music, updating TIDAL library. It also depends on your collection size - the bigger it is, the more work must be done to process it.

Makes sense that Roon has some background tasks to perform but why does it have to consume PC and network bandwidth nonstop? I understand doing background work every so often but at least on my PC the CPU and network is always being used by Roon. I dont understand this.

OK, at this point I’d like to clarify for myself is this a question or support request.
If it is the former, the answer would be: “I don’t know, because it depends on many aspects: library size, hardware of the machine where Roon Core is installed, network setup and channel bandwidth, your usage pattern.”
If it is the latter, I need more info to clarify your situation, you can use this FAQ as a guide to provide us more details.

Thanks

I guess this would be a support question if the behavior I am seeing is not normal. Here is my setup

Roon version 1.2 (build 147)
OS - Server R2 essentials
Custom PC i3, 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM
Music stored on NAS
Library size 40K+ tracks

• How this machine is connected to your NAS ?
  • Is Roon database located on the spinning disk ?
  • What is your usage pattern: do your run Roon 24/7 or only few hours a day, during listening sessions ?
  • Can you describe your network connection ?

Thank you.

How this machine is connected to your NAS ? - wireless AC via a wireless bridge
Is Roon database located on the spinning disk ? - Roon database located on local SSD
What is your usage pattern: do your run Roon 24/7 or only few hours a day, during listening sessions ? - I am not sure I understand this question. I have Roonserver installed on a dedicated PC that is left on 24/7 with Roonserver always running. I listen to music a few hours a day at night. I access Roon from my Android phone or tablet. I use HQPlayer for playback.
Can you describe your network connection ? - see above. The PC is connected via ethernet cable to my wireless AC bridge. The NAS is upstairs, wired to my wireless router.

I have verified that when I stop the roonserver and roonappliance processes, the CPU and networks traffic drops to zero.

@tboooe ---- Thank you very much for the feedback. I’d like to collect some logs from you to pass off to our developers. Will be contacting you via PM momentarily. Thanks!

-Eric