Roonserver crashes when backup starts

Roon Core Machine

Linux plex 5.15.0-47-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 11 07:51:15 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 42
model name : Intel(R) Core™ i5-2500T CPU @ 2.30GHz
Board Vendor: Intel Corporation
Board Name: DH67BL
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 11Gi 2.5Gi 6.9Gi 3.0Mi 2.2Gi 8.8Gi
Roon Version
1.8 (build 1021) stable
Bootdevice TS64GSSD25S-S
Roon media and database on Raid1 CT2000BX500SSD1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

Connected Audio Devices

0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xfe520000 irq 35
1 [Audio ]: USB-Audio - iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio
iFi (by AMR) iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.2, high speed
2 [S3 ]: USB-Audio - Schiit Modi 3
Schiit Audio Schiit Modi 3 at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.3, high speed
3 [D10s ]: USB-Audio - D10s
Topping D10s at usb-0000:03:00.0-2, high speed
4 [AUDIO ]: USB-Audio - SMSL USB AUDIO
SMSL SMSL USB AUDIO at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.4, high speed

Number of Tracks in Library

48192 tracks

Description of Issue

Hi, when roon tries to start a backup it crashes. Happens with configured scheduled backup and manually forced backup. I already changed the backup drive from local to an attached USB drive. No change.
After ‘service roonserver restart’ it comes back again, but can’t backup still.

You are using a 64 GB SSD plus mirrored 2 TB SSDs?

To be clear, what drive is / (root) and /opt? In addition, has a backup previously worked with this setup?

/root and /opt is the 64 GB drive.
/home with Roon working dir, backup and all the media directories is on the 2 tb ssds.
This config works since 2017. Also backup since ages. Stopped a couple of weeks ago.
There is still heaps of space
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 1.2G 3.0M 1.2G 1% /run
/dev/sdb1 59G 12G 44G 22% /
tmpfs 5.8G 4.0K 5.8G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
/dev/md1 1.8T 902G 839G 52% /home

Is there any manual way to check and recover the db ? Anything I can do from a cmdline ?

So, you have a customized installation, moving Roon and the Roon database outside /opt. Are you running Roon as root or another user?

root.
As stated before, it was running since 2017.

I must have missed this while typing my last reply. Is Roon running or not? If there is a problem with the database, you’ll need to restore from a backup.

you mean if roon should make backups again I have to restore ?

No. I’m asking you if the problems you are experiencing are just backups, or if there is a wider issue that led you to consider database recovery. You haven’t answered this point.

No other issues than backup. It was an assumption of me.

Hey @Oliver_Koch,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. After enabling diagnostics on your account, we found low level corruption in your database leading to your system crashing.

This means that the records Roon is reading from your database are different from what was originally written. This can happen for a number of reasons, like failing hard drives or an unstable power source (frequent outages, hard power cuts, etc).

We’re sorry you’re experiencing this extremely rare error: not only is our database infrastructure designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, but starting with Build 880, Roon detects database corruption “on the fly”. So if corruption is detected during a backup or during normal use of Roon, you’ll be immediately prompted to restore from a backup.

What’s Next?

Install Roon fresh on your Core machine and rolling back to one of your older backups. You can use these instructions to do so:

• Exit out of Roon/RoonServer
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • (Optional) Restore Roon from an even older backup, if you do this, please try to create a new backup based off of the older backup to perform the integrity checks inside of Roon.

If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately, the only other solution is to start with a fresh database.

With that, our team would like a copy of your database in order to better prevent situations like this form happening in the future. That way our team can analyze the type of corruption and prevent similar cases in the future.

Here’s how you can help:

1. Follow the recovery steps above
  2. Zip up your RoonBackups folder (right-click it and select “Compress…”):
  3. Submit the .zip file to us through our Database Corruption Issues portal

Your participation will go a long way in helping our team improve corruption detection, so we’d greatly appreciate your help. :pray:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.