RoonServer crashing on a few Synology devices [Solved]

Hi,
While building the installation package for x64 Synology devices most users reported that it worked flawlessly. But there are 2-3 users that experience a crash of RoonServer on startup (and this crash runs in a loop then…).

When connecting via ssh and perform the check.sh script. Everything is “ok”. After running the start.sh script the following error message is displayed.

Initializing
Started
Not responding
Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Sooloos.IPAddresses.unix_get_ips_with_netmasks (intptr) <IL 0x00011, 0xffffffff>
  at Sooloos.IPAddresses.GetAll () [0x00011] in /home/roon/roon/RoonBase/netinfo.cs:326
  at Sooloos.SOOD.Connection.FixInterfaces () [0x00000] in /home/roon/roon/RoonBase/sood.cs:442
  at Sooloos.SOOD.Connection.<InitSocket>m__3 (object) [0x00027] in /home/roon/roon/RoonBase/sood.cs:348
  at ThreadUtil._DoWorkItem (ThreadUtil/_WorkItem) [0x00000] in /home/roon/roon/Base/threadutils.cs:270
  at ThreadUtil._WorkerThread () [0x0008c] in /home/roon/roon/Base/threadutils.cs:260
  at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context (object) <IL 0x00022, 0x00083>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <IL 0x00083, 0x001f1>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <IL 0x00004, 0x00023>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object) <IL 0x00031, 0x0005b>
  at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart () <IL 0x00017, 0x0002f>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <IL 0x00056, 0xffffffff>

Native stacktrace:

/volume1/@appstore/RoonServer/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonAppliance() [0x4ed10e]
        /volume1/@appstore/RoonServer/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonAppliance() [0x41993e]
        /lib/libpthread.so.0(+0x101c0) [0x7f7bb99031c0]
        /volume1/@appstore/RoonServer/RoonServer/Appliance/libroonbase.so(unix_get_ips_with_netmasks+0x3a) [0x7f7bb50c0ffa]
        [0x403baf30]

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
=================================================================

It is hard for me to find out what the cause of this error is. I could test it only on my own devices (DS1511+, DS716+), but have not the whole product palette of Synology devices to investigate. From the specs. of the devices, that output this error it should actually work (DS2413+, DS1813+, DS412+)

I tried to find out what kind of devices are affected in this topic:

All of the users with this issue had a device with an Atom D2700 CPU (but the DS713+ with the same cpu could install and use it). So I am not sure if this is cpu related.

The installer package for Synology does not touch any files from the RoonServer installation.

Thanks Christopher,

Let’s drop a flag for @brian.

Thanks @andybob. @crieke and I have been going back and forth offline…we’ve made some progress.

I am one of the users who has not had an issue ( well one, but that was related to a particular RoonServer build for Linux (“corrupt build”) that caused RoonServer not to work, since fixed )

Mine is an 1812+ with 3GB RAM, Intel Atom D2700 CPU - Dual Core.

Build 142 solved this issue.

1 Like