Roonserver downloading a lot from Internet at startup

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini 2.6GHz i5, 8GB RAM, Big Sur 11.4.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Eero routers, Netgear switches, Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos, Bridge

Library Size

18,000 tracks

Description of Issue

After a reboot, which includes a startup of Roonserver, on a few occasions I’ve noticed Roonserver downloading data from the Internet at a rate of around 7Mbps. This goes on for at least 10 minutes, but doesn’t happen every time. A couple of times I’ve restarted Roonserver manually and the downloading didn’t resume. The last time I left it, and it did seem to stop of its own accord eventually.

What is Roonserver downloading? Is this normal? I have a Tidal connection, if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Yes it’s normal it’s updating your library with all if the information needed, Album information, links, biographies, pictures etc.

Thanks for the reply. So how often does Roon do this? Every day, every few days?

No idea , does it matter?

Well I guess not! Just that I’ve used Roon for years and I’ve never noticed this before, so am wondering whether anything has changed and whether the length of time it takes to do this, and the amount of data it seems to download, has always been the same. 7Mbps for several minutes sure sounds like a lot!

It’s pretty dependent on library size as well. If one element in your library changes then I think it goes looking chasing down all the links to see if they have updated, then each of those updated elements ad infinitum.
It’s a bugger for those on limited data plans but as long as you have a good connection you should be fine. Roon is very, very chatty across the network. Have a look at how many DNS pings it does, constant. That’s why changing to the fastest possible dns service speeds roon up.

Hmmm, my library hasn’t changed in ages. Does it still make sense that it’s doing all this downloading?

EDIT: Pinging what exactly?

Even if your library doesn’t change the back end might. Especially if you have a streaming service.
The last time I played this it had the black background with gold letters album cover, now…

In wonder if it just refreshes all the metadata at some particular interval. Be nice to know, just out of interest.

Roon may answer you, but I doubt it. If it really starts to affect other performance, it may be a sign to boost your server power or speed.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.