RoonServer frequently crashes and restarts

Server is running Ubuntu Bionic, running on a Dell Poweredge T130 (Xeon E3-1220 v5), with 16GB RAM, System drive is a 256GB NVMe, storage, including music, is on a ZFS pool of 4 3TB WD Red drives.

Roon endpoints are a mixture of Macs, Pis, and tablets, with the most frequently used being devices running squeezelite (including one iPad mini running iPeng).

Roonserver seems to silently crash and get restarted by the start.sh script, and this happens both during playback and otherwise. So far as I can tell, these crashes and restarts happen every few hours. Apart from the frustrating experience of having these restarts interrupt playback, my problems are compounded by the fact that my most frequently used extension (@marcelveldt’s Home Assistant component) loses connection whenever RoonServer restarts.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Shiv

Hello @Shivrang_Setlur,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. Can you please let me know if you have Audio Analysis turned on in your Roon Settings -> Library Tab? I would perform two tests here:

1. Temporarily try turning off both Background Audio Analysis and On-Demand Audio analysis

2. Temporarily disable all of your watched storage locations and leave it overnight.

You mentioned that this issue occurs every few hours so I would try test #1 first, see if you still experience it, then test #2, and then finally test #3 which is the combination of the two tests. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hi Noris,

Thanks for those two suggestions, as well as your prompt reply. I seem to have narrowed down, and solved, the problem on my own. I had another mono application that was constantly crashing and respawning, and after disabling it, Roon seems to have returned to stability, at least for the past 9 hours or so.

If I experience the crashes and restarts again, I’ll definitely begin by trying the steps you’ve outlined here.

Thanks agin,

Shiv

1 Like