RoonServer on Debian 9 unable to be found by Roon Remotes

@support

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

RoonServer v1.6 (build 416) stable on linuxx64

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Intel Ethernet NIC

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

None yet. Attempted to connect via iPad

Description Of Issue

This is a new install on Debian 9 using kernel 4.9.0-9-amd64. Used the easy install option and all the results were ‘OK.’ When attempting to locate the Roon server via my iPad, it’s unable to find it. Looked at the logs on the server and it appears the service keep restarting every few seconds.

Hi @Michael_Cornwell,

Just wanted to confirm with you that you have used our Linux Instructions to install RoonServer on this machine and that you have made sure to install the dependencies first (ffmpeg/libasound2/cifs-utils/glibc 2.14 or higher) .

Also, have you made sure to allow Roon past any firewalls you may have installed and that multicast is setup to properly pass through your linux firewall? This thread may be of help to ensure that the firewall is properly set up: (Android Roon Remote looses connection to Core (daily)).

Hi Noris. I’ve checked the link and I’m at or above the needed version numbers for each dependency. The system is not running a firewall. This is a snippet when checking the service.

Jun 29 14:43:01 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: =================================================================

Jun 29 14:43:01 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
Jun 29 14:43:01 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
Jun 29 14:43:01 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: used by your application.
Jun 29 14:43:01 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: =================================================================
Jun 29 14:43:01 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: Erro
Jun 29 14:43:03 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: Initializing
Jun 29 14:43:03 sandpiper start.sh[30948]: Started

Hi @Michael_Cornwell,

Can I please ask you to manually send me the logs from your Core machine by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link or your preferred uploading service.

Hi @Michael_Cornwell,

Thank you for sending those log files over. I took a look through them and I am not seeing any obvious signs as to why you are getting this issue, so I have asked QA to take a look. I will be sure to let you know once I have any additional info to share with you, and thank you in advance for your patience.

Hi… I am also having this issue as of last week. Nothing has changed on my end.

I had this error that showed up on June 1st… maybe its related…

-rw-r----- 1 root whoopsie 46605529 Jul 1 19:05 _opt_RoonServer_RoonMono_bin_mono-sgen.0.crash

Hi @James_Reeves,

Thank you for the additional report. I don’t have any additional feedback regarding the issue at this time, as soon as I have discussed this further with the technical team/QA I will be sure to let you know in this thread.

@noris Any update? I’m about 2 weeks without access to roon now. Let me know if there are any logs I can pull

Hi @Michael_Cornwell/@James_Reeves,

I wanted to update you here as I have been discussing this case with our QA team.

We have opened up an investigation and we plan to perform some testing on Debian 9 to verify your findings, but do note that it may take some time before this testing kicks off.

As soon as I have any further news from QA I will be sure to let you know. For the time being, feel free to use another platform or Linux distribution until the investigation has been completed.

Thanks in advance for your patience here!

Hi @Michael_Cornwell/@James_Reeves,

I have been in touch with QA and they have noted that they been unable to reproduce the behavior you are describing when using Debian 9 on their end. Can I please ask you to provide some more information regarding your setups here?

1. What is the libc version that you are using?
    You can find this by running ldd --version

2. What is the kernel version you are using?
    You can find this by running uname -r

3. What flavor of libc are you using?

4. What is the release date of the Debian 9 install you have running?

Not sure what else to say. It was a stock install on Debian 9.9 using an AMD64 image, where I followed the instructions posted. My trial window is long gone, so feel free to move on.

Mike

@noris Glibc 2.29-0 Kernel 5.1.16-050116-generic Looks to be working after reverting to kernel 5.0

Hi @James_Reeves,

Thank you for the update here and for confirming that it appears to be kernel related. I have informed the QA team of this aspect and will let you know what they say once I hear back.

@Michael_Cornwell - Can you please give kernel 5.0 a try? I have also private messaged you regarding your trial.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.