RoonServer sometimes restarts

I’m having the same problem as you. It only happens while streaming Qobuz or Tidal. Live radio and playing from my library pose no issues.
I noticed when it happens Roon Server will stop and restart…is that what’s happening with yours as well?

Hi @runningwithscissors

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does this happen with local content at all?

How often do you see this happen?

I’m seeing a similar problem with my Nucleus as well. Though it has happened during streaming (Qobuz or TIDAL) playback, which abruptly halts the playback and the remotes lose connection until the Roon Server Software auto-reboots, this also happens repeatedly overnight (3-4am), unattended…

After having our music playback enjoyment interrupted on a couple of occasions recently, I loaded the Nucleus’ web interface into a browser tab that I just leave in place now. This has revealed that the Roon Server Software (though not its Operating System or the Nucleus itself) has restarted overnight while no streaming or other playback activity was taking place. Two nights in a row now since I’ve been checking the Nucleus status page in my browser each morning.

When it happens during playback, as @runningwithscissors described, the music is paused at the exact point where it was interrupted. When these restarts happen unattended overnight, while no playback is happening, the end user would never know that their music server had to restart during the wee hours. It doesn’t matter which endpoint or remote is in use. Again, sometimes nothing is being used and it just restarts on its own. For me this has been a v1.8 issue, though I can’t say if it’s related to the latest build.

My system: Nucleus (not +) w/latest software, connected via Ethernet to an Orbi router via Luxul gigabit switch; iOS and macOS remotes are connected via Wi-Fi, and no other devices / streaming or networking issues have been experienced. On a 200+ gb/s (down) cable modem connection.

Just posting this as an additional data point for the support team, and to help make other users aware of a potential issue. Thanks!

1 Like

In addition to the problem I listed above, the “track skipping” issue has now started. Is there going to be any guidance or (even better) a fix sometime in the near future?

Core Machine

Nucleus hardwired to router via CAT6 cable

Network Details

Netgear Nighthawk AX6000 modem/router

Audio Devices

Musical Fidelity M6sR USB DAC
DAC to Parasound P6 preamp
Preamp to Parasound A23+ amp

Description of Issue

I’ve had my Nucleus for about a month, and ROON Server will restart itself randomly only when I stream either Qobuz or Tidal. Live radio and playing albums from my local library have posed no issues. So far I’ve reinstalled the ROON OS on the Nucleus, changed my primary DNS to 1.1.1.1, uninstalled and reinstalled the remote app from my iPhone XR and MacBook Air (iOS 14.5 and MacOS Big Sur 11.3.1), and rebooted/shut down/powered up countless times. Sometimes server will restart itself several times a day, sometimes it’ll go 2 days between restarts.

Average network speed is 400-500 mbps down, 35-40 mbps up. The Nucleus is the only device physically connected to the router, everything else in the house connects via WiFi.