RoonServer Stuck Initializing on new Mac Installation, Logs Showing Critical Exception [Fixed with build 987]

That is not the case: this screen cap is from the host machine. Maybe it provides some clue as to what’s wrong with RoonServer, if it reports the OS version wrong.

Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 12.58.12

And no, I haven’t checked the logs. Where can I find them on MacOS?

the same here.

Same here omn multiple different macs…both intel older macs. but my M1 seems to be OK as does my 2018 MBP i9.

Happening to a friends MBA - only since updating to B970, and only for Roon Server… the Roon all in one runs perfectly.

@support

Happens on a totally clean install of MacOS too as well as previos macs running B952

Yup, should also note that my RoonServer install was to a totally reset machine, and was literally the first thing to be installed.

Is this part of your problem? Do you still have a connection to the QNAP registered?

Alex, I’m new to Roon, but when setting up a mac mini as a standalone Core a few days ago, I found two things caused this constant initializing when remote connecting with Roon from another computer into the Core: First, I had another core that I’d setup before I had the mac mini. Until I logged out of that original core, initialization of the new core continued (can’t be logged into two cores at once unless you have two separate subscriptions). Until I went onto my core machine with Roon running on it, I did not see the message that logging out of the original core was required. Second, if I stop running Roon app on the mac mini but leave the Server software running, any remote Roon machine sees the core initializing. Starting Roon on the mac mini fixes that. I’ve just asked in Support for why this is the case and await clarification.

In Linux they are located at: /var/roon/RoonServer/Logs . I bet it’s similar in macOS.

~/Library/RoonServer/Logs zip up the whole folder if just roon then the Roon/Logs folder

You need to hold down option in the finder Go menu to get to your ~/Library folder

Again, much thanks for prompt replies.

I logged out of the QNAP server installation prior to stopping it, and signed out on my other installation too. The result is the same, “initializing…” indefinitely.

Also, found the logs as per the macOS path. Anything in particular there I should look out for?

I am running the Roon server (plus HQPlayer Desktop) on my M1 Mac mini with 16GB of unified memory with no issues. I am using macOS 12.4.

Updated the host machine to macOS 12.4. Same end result, forever “initializing…”, unfortunately.

I would be looking for anything that appears to be failing or throwing an error, especially anything happening repeatedly.

To make it easier to parse you might consider stopping the server and backing-up the current log file by renaming it, start the server to create a new log and then let it run for a few minutes to see what happens.

Here is another case of a fresh Mac install that is stuck initializing.

A bit of news regarding this: I’m pretty sure now that the issue is with the latest RoonServer component.

I was able to install a previous version of RoonServer to the host machine. That one started without a hitch, moved swiftly past the “Initializing…” phase and displayed the “Connect” button, as well as gave a notification that an update is required to the server.

Running the update resulted in hanging at “Initializing…” again.

@support is this enough data to dig a bit into this? What could be a workaround?

Cleared the old logs and started the server, tried to connect and am now looking through the log.

The only items that look distressing are the following:

06/22 13:23:18 Warn: [auth] EnsureAuthReady failed: Result[Status=NotLoggedIn]

and

06/22 13:23:21 Critical: scx: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibraryUtils’ threw an exception. —> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Sooloos.Broker.TinySooid.Get (System.Sooid s) [0x00005] in <7cecef3f1d4c4639b87a9cf0466771ff>:0
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibraryUtils…cctor () [0x0001d] in <7cecef3f1d4c4639b87a9cf0466771ff>:0

Hope those offer insight to someone technical.

1 Like

Hi @Jussi_Hermunen ,

Thanks for the report here and appreciate you posting those log snippets! I just checked and it looks like we’re already on it, a ticket is in the dev team’s queue :+1: . We hope to address this issue as soon as possible, thanks in advance for your patience here!

2 Likes

@benjamin I don’t get far enough in the process to either log into the new core or enter license details. The clients are just showing that the new core is “Initializing…” and I can’t click on the “Connect” button. That’s as far as I can get on the Mac as the new core.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @rcrawley!

We’ve pinpointed the issue here and our dev team has added it to their queue to tackle soon. We’ve merged all similar issues to this thread, so any updates we have to share - you will be notified!

Thank you for sharing your information and for your patience here, it’s helped us get to the bottom of things much quicker :pray:

4 Likes

Much thanks for picking this up @noris and @benjamin. Let me know if and when there’s anything to contribute to help out.

1 Like

Adding my similar issue to this thread. Sounds like I”m having the same challenges and am hoping this can be resolved swiftly.

Roon Core Machine
MacMini late 2012
2.3Ghz i7 16GB Ram
Running Catalina 10.15.7

Networking
Synology Ac2600 Router
MacMini wired directly to Router
Content storage housed on Synology NAS
No VPN running
No Firewalls between devices

Audio Devices
A couple Shiit Modi’s
Raspberry Pi running Ropieee

**Number of Tracks in Library88
75K+

Issue
When launching Roon on iOS or Mac I’m stuck in the initializing phase.

I’ve rebooted router and Mini multiple times to no avail. I’ve deleted the Roon Server folder in the Library and reinstalled the latest version of Roon Server. Endpoints all have the latest versions of Roon app.

Genuinely at a loss as to how to troubleshoot further.

Happy to provide logs. Not sure how best to do that without reaching a character limit here in the thread.

Are you also migrating from a previous server or is this a clean install?