Roopieee vs Bluesound

Hello, if you had a choice between a Roopieee and a MDC 2i Bluesound card as endpoints to feed a digital signal to a NAD M32, which way would you go?

Thanks!

You can assemble a Raspberry Pi4 with USB output running RoPieee or RoPieeeXL in a FLIRC case for about $74. You can put it anywhere you have an ethernet connection or a reasonably good WIFI signal.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m aware of that. My question was more about sound quality. Putting cost aside, what are pros and cons of each of those two options? Thanks.

I have the BluOs card in my C388 amp. It is not great. Sound quality is fine, but it has frequent connectivity issues - it only works on 2.4GHz, which may have something to do with it. My Pi with Ropieee is much more stable, but does involve having a second box.

1 Like

You didn’t mention SQ. I answered the question based on my perspective.

I would use the Raspberry Pi 4 running Ropieee and feed my DAC with the USB output. I think this is a better solution because you’re not tied into the DAC built into the Bluesound device. Don’t get me wrong, the Bluesound DACs aren’t horrible, but there are better DACs out there. And the USB output is a better choice because its asynchronous property makes is less susceptible to jitter and other digital issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. So you would recommend USB over Toslink for the connection from the Raspberry to the NAD? (In case it makes any difference, my Raspberry is version 3, not 4.)
Thank you.

I would consider if you’re potentially interested in the rest of the BluOS ecosystem and related products. I own a Node 2i and a couple of other Bluesound products. I myself quite happily use Roon, but the rest of the family uses BluOS to play music in the living room, kitchen and upstairs. The apps are very nice and user friendly. I don’t know if something like that is available when you go the Roopieee route.

I run a 3B into a USB DAC through Roopiee over WiFi, it works fine. One less component (hat) to worry about. USB DACs generally support higher bit rates and depths too, if that is important to you.

Yes, I have both a 3b+ and a 4 and I have never had issues with either, and still more stable than the BluOs card.

Further, I suspect that NAD is losing interest in Roon in favour of their Blusound app. There is a small bug with Roon that NAD seems uninterested in fixing - and a lot of their units are languishing waiting for certification.

Thank you for all the helpful information. One more question. Using the internal card instead of the Raspberry Pi would the information on the album and track being played displayed on the M32? (It doesn’t using the RP.) Thanks.

It shows up on the C388, so I would imagine so.