rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

Thank you @DrCWO that all makes sense.
I think for me I may want to run to three end Pis/rooPlay set ups one for my study, one for my workshop and one for the HiFi but I’ll start with one and see how I get on once I am familiar with rooPlay.

Thanks for your prompt and detailed response.

1 Like

Hi @DrCWO

I am mainly interested in displaying the „now playing“ screen on a TV. Do I understand the above correctly that I can install rooPlay without a license and still use the HDMI display functionality?

Thanks

Just download the image, burn it on SD-Card and run the Pi. The HDMI output requires no license.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Hi I purchased RooPlay, it works quite good. I would like use it with an Apple TV via shairport. however latency is too important. I would like access to config file of shairport for compensate latency in setting. Can you send me ssh’s acces ?

Regards

Hi there, I’ve recently purchased rooPlay, but somehow I can’t get it to work as I want it (yet).
My setup is as follows:

• Record player connected to phono pre, connected to RME ADI-2 Pro FS BE
  • RME connected to RPi4 via USB
  • RME also connected to a power amp via XLR
  • RPi4 connected to router via Ethernet

While other playback zones show up in Roon, the RME doesn’t show up, because it’s not connected to my Roon Core via USB anymore - which is an Innuos Zen Mk.II, configured in Experimental Mode (Squeezelight).

What am I doing wrong? What do I have to do, so that the RME will be shown as a playback zone in my system? (The RME is currently running in “DAC mode”, but I’ve tried the other modes as well)

This is exactly how I run it in my home :+1:t2:

• Open Settings/Extensions in Roon
  • Open Setttings of rooExtend License manager
  • Top of settings in Network Audio select Roon Bridge
  • Press Save
  • Open Settings/Audio
  • Find rooExtend and enable it

Now you can use ADI-2 Pro as playback device.

Best DrCWO

In case it is of interest to others using rooPlay with the RME ADI-2 Pro, what I had to do after enabling the RME as playback device as described by DrCWO (which worked fine), was to go to the RME’s settings and choose “USB Mode”. Then it worked!

2 Likes

Hi DrCwo,

Is there anyway to use a single Raspberry Pi for both RooPlay and RooDial?

Sorry if this is a straight-forward or silly question.

The price of Pis these days is quite high, and 3 of mine are already using RooDial, so I was hoping they would be a little multipurpose.

Shure, that’s part of the idea of rooExtend :smile:

You can use rooPlay with rooDial and any other of my Roon Extensions simultaneous on one Pi.

If you like you can also playback Roon music via USB DAC connected to the Pi at the same time :+1:

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Ah I see my problem, I didn’t think my current rooExtend Pi had the right capability because it is still on version 1.5.2.

I’ll figure out the upgrade process this weekend, and test it all. :slight_smile:

That’s really old. I hope to have v3.0.0 out soon. It has OTA-update so no more manual tasks for update needed :+1: :smile:

Checking back in to see if the plan is still to add Spotify connect support in v 3.0.0?

Will come but a bit later. Too busy at the moment :sleepy:

Hi @DrCWO, I’m testing vinyl playback through Roon’s convolution engine with your RooPlay extension and i had a question about starting playback from a usability perspective. Is it possible to setup a radio station with a web address specific to the interface and sample rate desired in order to start the stream? Or must one always initiate from the extensions screen? I think someone may have asked a similar question earlier in this thread….

It would be much smoother to not have to initiate playback from the extension and opens up the ability to automate with macros and the deep harmony extension, for example. Then one can simply power on their turntable “activity” and the system turn on Roon and start the stream so it will be ready for a record with no additional interaction needed.

If it is possible, how do we format the url to call the right settings?

As always, thank you so much for your valued work.

Shure you can setup such a radio station. I also did in my system using a RME ADI-2 Pro.

I explained in detail how to set up this radio station in the Quick installation guide in my download area. After the setup you can play this radio station and it will transport the input of your ADC to Roon.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

This is great, thanks so much. Admittedly, I forgot you had a written guide… I only read this thread and watched your YouTube videos :smile:

1 Like

I have been using Rooplay/extend for several months to play my turntable output via Roon. Its generally been a great experience and I’m certainly glad that the service is available.

One smaller issue that I have been having is that the Rooplay setting for “Source to be played” keeps reverting back to “None”. i.e., Most times that I go to stream my turntable, I have to go back into my Roon Extension Settings and reset my Rooplay settings to play from “Audio Interface”. Should I be expecting this behavior and/or is there a way to set this setting so that I don’t have to keep going back in and resetting/saving it?

I have this isue too but I think it has to do with te Fact that I turn of my Pi when I don’t use my turntable. If settings could be stored on a usb stick so they could be automaticly retrieved by startup would solve this problem I think?

I keep my Pi on at all times, so its not a off/on issue (although that may also cause the same behavior). I suspect it has something to do with Roon not detecting any signal via the Audio Interface source for an extended period of time and then Roon just resets it to None.

Look into the written „quick installation guide“ v3. You can create an extra Radio Station for your turntable with the special settings and an extra LP-icon.
So you can start directly this Radio Station if you want ro use your turntable.

2 Likes